how to switch salts

  • Thread starter Thread starter marinelife
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
373
Reaction score
92
Location
Union Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since ESV is so hard to come by anymore here locally I am switching to Instant Ocean. I ordered two buckets of Reef Crystals before I made up my mind to go to Instant Ocean. So I will use them up first.
Now for anyone that has move to a different salt, did you just change to it or did you move to it slowly by mixing it with your old salt.
In the past I have mix them slowly together but I am wonder what would happen if I just do a few smaller water changes with the new salt.

Thoughts?
 
I use any of the major brands of salts that are on sale at the time. I dont think it really matters because even specific brands will be diffrent batch to batch. I just try not to do water changes that are two large before I have checked the alk and the cal of the mix.
 
Thanks for the information, I am currently getting the salt mixed up and will do a small water change this weekend or so. Anyone else have any opinions??
 
when i switched from instant ocean to reef crystals i just waited until the bucket got half way gone and mixed in reef crystals to fill up the bucket...it seemed to work well but i did get a bunch of red slime but i think that is due to my skimmer breaking(im setting up a new tank and will use a in-sump skimmer instead of a hob style
 
I just used my new salt in the next water change but instead of a 5 gallon change it was 2.5. After that it was 5 gallons from then on and nothing bad happened. I switch from Reef Salt, to Red Sea Pro, to AquaVitro btw. I like Vitro the most and transitioned salts the same way.
 
Just do a regular water change with the new salt.
salt is salt.
 
I would just test the parameters of your tank and the new salt mix before adding. Small water changes on your regular water change interval will be fine.
 
Thanks everyone. I would love to mix but am not paying the new cost from the latest price increase to get a box of ESV.
I am currently mixing the Reef Crystals up but may need more to get the salinaty correct. I will do several small water changes for a while.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new