How to tell if a coral is dyed a different color?

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still doing excellent (although no babies yet... likely need to feed more.)

One very bizarre thing I've noticed is that the coral is more blue in strong light and more green only in shaded areas. There is a definite line of demarcation where the "sun don't shine." I'd really like to understand the role of light with these corals and their coloration.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still doing excellent (although no babies yet... likely need to feed more.)

One very bizarre thing I've noticed is that the coral is more blue in strong light and more green only in shaded areas. There is a definite line of demarcation where the "sun don't shine." I'd really like to understand the role of light with these corals and their coloration.
I noticed mine in the bag looked like bright green food coloring, in the tank under just blues it is black, so I'm hoping either way it does well. Will try feeding it tomorrow.

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I should continue the saga:

This was the first time I've seen them try to reproduce sexually:
20201212_090959.jpg

And, they definitely lose the deep blue coloration where there is less light. Wherever the light hits directly, these are incredibly deep blue. In the shaded areas, they're a teal-to-yellow color. Very odd. I've rotated the colony, and the shaded areas return to deep blue upon higher light. So, strangely enough, the coloration appears affected by light.

20201213_062419.jpg

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been well over a year, and I just wanted to report that mine is still doing fine. Sadly, I lost four polyps while I wasn't feeding at least daily (it really needs feedings multiple times per day). The coloration is nearly the exact same as my Oregon Blue Tort (excuse the poor cell phone photo under actinics). It has spawned (orangish brown planulae - none of which appeared viable) and it has produced a blue baby asexually.

I've written about my experience on my personal blog (mods, feel free to remove the link if external links aren't allowed):
https://coraleverafter.org/?p=647

I'm also working with Matt Wandell over at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for half of the colony to go in their NPS tank (and hopefully help us all understand more about these amazing corals!)

20210824_221533 (Medium).jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how do you know if a coral is dyed to be a different color? I'm talking dyed LPS coral with hard skeletons. Are there any signs a dyed coral has and can you test if there's dye present in tissue? I think I purchased a dyed coral.
Years ago there was anemones and mushrooms that were apparently injected with colouring sold for insanely high prices only to find out the extreme colours would eventually fade back to normal .

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

First, it did finally produce a small baby, and it's blue too!

But, more importantly, I just donated the colony I had over to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (flew it there myself!) After it goes through quarantine, you'll be able to see it on display in this tank. There it should get the care and attention it deserves - and everyone can enjoy it!

Attachments

• 20211101_134543.jpg
    20211101_134543.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 46
Back