How to tell if a coral is dyed a different color?

OP
OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pieces of the ocean had some of these for sale for $50- it was only one head, but some places sell the yellow/orange ones for that price. I was pretty surprised to see them at that price. Logic tells me that over time, more growth (if the coral gets to that point) would at least decrease the concentration of the pigment in the coral, assuming the coral is unable to produce those pigments. I doubt any new polyps would magically be back to the original color, rather you would slowly see the pigment spread out over time, so the coral would eventually revert to its true color- This is all speculation though.

I think vendors are starting to realize that these sun coral have no value at the rate they're coming in.

And I agree. I think dyed coral will either get sick like mine did and spend its energy throwing up the dye. The ones that fare better diffuse the dye into new growth, fading the pigment out over time.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen legit odd colored Tubastrea like this recently, but only from two vendors. The first and other pics look saturated but the corals are real. In the past (I mean 15-20+years ago) we saw some died soft corals but I haven't seen any since, especially no stony corals. So in short, it's a real coral they're just oversaturating pictures and scamming it sounds like.
I had 10+ colonies, every tank they went in nuked everything.... bummer. $10,000+ of Corals lost

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think vendors are starting to realize that these sun coral have no value at the rate they're coming in.

And I agree. I think dyed coral will either get sick like mine did and spend its energy throwing up the dye. The ones that fare better diffuse the dye into new growth, fading the pigment out over time.
That’s more of a long term solution to detecting dyed corals unfortunately.
Sun corals should be dirt cheap seeing as it’s invasive in many areas- the prices are being driven entirely by markups. I doubt the distribution network would jack up the prices that much. They should be selling for $20 next to xenias and gsp

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing about it. Tubastrea is invasive in the Caribbean, and is removed and destroyed by managers. As far as I know there is no legal mechanism for collecting and selling these invasive corals in the Gulf or Caribbean, despite their abundance.

Tubastrea is native and abundant throughout the Indo Pacific. Imported prices would be cheap.... except that import prices are driven by the cost of air freight. So wholesalers charge $30-$60 for Tubastrea.

IOW, environmental regulations prevent us from getting the local Tubastrea, while covid makes Indo Pacific imports expensive.

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing about it. Tubastrea is invasive in the Caribbean, and is removed and destroyed by managers. As far as I know there is no legal mechanism for collecting and selling these invasive corals in the Gulf or Caribbean, despite their abundance.

Tubastrea is native and abundant throughout the Indo Pacific. Imported prices would be cheap.... except that import prices are driven by the cost of air freight. So wholesalers charge $30-$60 for Tubastrea.

IOW, environmental regulations prevent us from getting the local Tubastrea, while covid makes Indo Pacific imports expensive.
Interesting- I had no idea. Maybe TBS will start getting some on their rock. I’m sure any buyer would love to have an extra hitchhiker.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since quite a few people have these, anyone know how bad the dye is for the tank?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since quite a few people have these, anyone know how bad the dye is for the tank?

We’ve had one in our tank for about a month. No negative effects because I don’t believe it’s a dyed coral. Polyps extend in the AM and in the evening about .5”. Super healthy.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We’ve had one in our tank for about a month. No negative effects because I don’t believe it’s a dyed coral. Polyps extend in the AM and in the evening about .5”. Super healthy.
Same here, I still don’t fully believe mine dyed. Does your color rub off on a paper towel as well? Mine is also super healthy.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I still don’t fully believe mine dyed. Does your color rub off on a paper towel as well? Mine is also super healthy.

I never tried that because the thought of it being dyed never crossed my mind. I’ve seen these in the wild diving.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of mine just now right before lights out.

4BE88D18-DF96-4504-BCD6-42078222ADEE.jpeg

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting- I had no idea. Maybe TBS will start getting some on their rock. I’m sure any buyer would love to have an extra hitchhiker.
I did order some recently, so I’ll mention it if I do find some! Hasn’t gotten here yet but it’s rough in Florida right now

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to see if anything comes off of mine but I’ve had it for 2ish months now and it’s seems to be doing great

935A6520-F278-4489-8462-77981CF7CF4B.jpeg

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200820_055342.jpg

I received this from a member that thought it might be dyed (member reported adverse effects on other corals upon placing in the tank), and honestly, I was convinced too... at first. After more than a month of having it, I believe it's natural.

Yes, yellowish-green pigment does go everywhere if smeared, but with regular corals we get that as just a brown color. (Zooxanthallae versus whatever nature is using for the blue.) I had no adverse effects placing the coral in my tank.

Here are some photos of one freshly fragged and of the towel I used.

20200820_055507.jpg

20200717_175132.jpg

Hope that helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back