How to tell if you have the right size skimmer

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an etss 800 on my 240 for about a year now and always felt it wasn't enough just because of the occasional Cyano Algae that occurs. It pulls lots of skimmate out and I have to dump a bucket (old brs carbon bucket) once a week or it will overflow. It's not stinky, but very dark and watery.

So I put an additional skimmer in the sump (aquaC180 w/mag 9.5) and it too is pulling out some crapola. I've had this running for probably a month or so. I haven't seen any difference in detritus or Cyano removal.

Q: If my etss was large enough for this tank, would it kill the foam in the other skimmer?

Q:Is there another test to see if the skimmer you choose is the proper size? I don't believe manufacturer's ratings anymore.

Q:If you have a skimmer that is too small for your system, can you add an additional skimmer to 'bring the skimming up' or will this reduce the efficiency of the original skimmer and make both mediocre? Sort of both skimmers pulling at each other instead of both pushing together, if that makes sense.?

Thanks,
Tom

MyManCave

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ManCave006.jpg
135gdt w/100gsump /ETSS800w/Iwaki55/ 15kIwasakiMH/175w/VHO 6'/Aqua57w /Closed Loop w/Dart/Koralia 4's.
progress.gif
240gdt w 105g(2 sumps)ETSS800/Iwaki55/7 T5/VHO/PC Lots of PH/ Aqua57w/

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you driving your ETSS 800 with? Downdraft skimmers require pressure pumps to operate optimally. Maybe you just need a pump upgrade.

OP
OP
TomToro

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you driving your ETSS 800 with? Downdraft skimmers require pressure pumps to operate optimally. Maybe you just need a pump upgrade.

I'm using a new Iwaki 55rlt head at 26.1. It's the one they recommended and it pushes a lot of water. I run the skimmer wide open.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back