Can you do skimmer break-in in a bucket of tap water ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank upgrade isn’t before 4 weeks still and I’m getting my new skimmer this week. I have a tank running without a skimmer at the moment (it isn’t working anymore) so I was wondering if I could get the new skimmer ready before the tank transfer ?

Would it work if I let it run in a bucket of tap water for 2 weeks? I understand there are no proteins to break in tap water but I could pour a cup or so of my tank water in it if necessary.

Thanks.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain tap water will not work as the skimmer needs the proper salinity to create the micro bubbles. Running in a bucket of saltwater would clear the skimmer of manufacturing oils and such, plus allow you to get experience on how it runs and to make adjustments.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank upgrade isn’t before 4 weeks still and I’m getting my new skimmer this week. I have a tank running without a skimmer at the moment (it isn’t working anymore) so I was wondering if I could get the new skimmer ready before the tank transfer ?

Would it work if I let it run in a bucket of tap water for 2 weeks? I understand there are no proteins to break in tap water but I could pour a cup or so of my tank water in it if necessary.

Thanks.
+1 on the NO for fresh water break in

skimmer has to develop a slime coat via organics. Also without proper salinity it will not be able to produce the air draw necessary to create a fine enough bubble to properly operate.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new skimmer could use a quick run with something like vinegar or citric acid mixed with freshwater to remove residues.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient and put it in the tank when its done. A new tank will not have anything worth skimming for a few weeks anyway. Dont waste your time on this.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
I would not want to put tap water in my new skimmer other than to rinse it out before I put it on any old bucket of salt water and let it run awhile and then fiddle with the water depth and adjust the air flow to see how I wanted to set it up on the new system.

The only other thing I would focus on is to keep the bucket salinity at the same level as the DT target so that the performance evaluation is applicable when it gets installed.

I personally would not worry about it much before I set it up but if you have 4 weeks to wait then figuring out all this stuff is something to do just to keep distracted for the duration.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain tap water will not work as the skimmer needs the proper salinity to create the micro bubbles. Running in a bucket of saltwater would clear the skimmer of manufacturing oils and such, plus allow you to get experience on how it runs and to make adjustments.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part !

Use some old tank water from a water change in a 5 gallon bucket and let it run
I’ll do just that then.

Brand new skimmer could use a quick run with something like vinegar or citric acid mixed with freshwater to remove residues.
I thought about doing this but wasn’t sure. I don’t want to ruin the skimmer before it even gets a chance to work, lol !

Just be patient and put it in the tank when its done. A new tank will not have anything worth skimming for a few weeks anyway.
I’m transferring everything from a 75 gallons that’s been set up for 2+ years into a 110 gallons + sump and adding 20 lbs of live rock so it won’t be brand new.

Since my original skimmer isn’t working anymore, there will be 5 weeks of accumulated proteins in the water. That’s why I’d like the new skimmer to do a good job right away.

I personally would not worry about it much before I set it up but if you have 4 weeks to wait then figuring out all this stuff is something to do just to keep distracted for the duration.
Yes, it will help me for sure ! The wait is soooooo long !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back