How to thaw clam.

Qutubhashmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me how to thaw clam and for how long before feeding to CBB.

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it on a plate
Put plate on counter
Until thawed?

I don’t know what a CBB is

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy large live clams and just throw them in the freezer for a few days. When I prepare them, I chop them as a whole clam is far too big. I quickly run the clam under warm water then split it open with a knife. I push on the frozen meat in each half of the shell and since it is still mostly frozen, it separates from the shell fairly easily. I chop the still frozen clam until quite small and return to the freezer in a bag. Then, everyday at feeding time, I take a small amount of the chopped clam, along with other frozen delights, and they thaw very quickly. My CBB eats it from the water column along with the rest of my fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I feed in the evening, so I typically place in the fridge in a little RO water and it is ready for evening feeding

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy large live clams and just throw them in the freezer for a few days. When I prepare them, I chop them as a whole clam is far too big. I quickly run the clam under warm water then split it open with a knife. I push on the frozen meat in each half of the shell and since it is still mostly frozen, it separates from the shell fairly easily. I chop the still frozen clam until quite small and return to the freezer in a bag. Then, everyday at feeding time, I take a small amount of the chopped clam, along with other frozen delights, and they thaw very quickly. My CBB eats it from the water column along with the rest of my fish.

Exactly this. Check out Paul b thread.

I buy biggest I can find. Bring them home. Split them open just enough to get a wood skewer or I use lollipop stick in to hold open a bit. If they are alive they will close up on the stick. Reason for opening them a bit b4 freezing is it helps opening later.

Later I take a yummy clam lollipop and run it under hot water 15 seconds. Then pry open easy since stick had it open and dig the clam out. It is easy to slice into thin silvers and chop while frozen and defrost by the time done chopping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
latest

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R

Sorry I missed it

5F0F0578-BE29-48D3-84C6-E548AFBA9371.gif

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me how to thaw clam and for how long before feeding to CBB.

Are you feeding the entire clam? I freeze them...makes it easier to shuck...and then cut them up frozen. They are easier to cut when frozen. You can cut paper thin slices if you wish. Chop to the size you want and put into a little tank water. A couple minutes in tank water, and ready to feed. Dependent on the size of a clam, and number of fish, you'll get a couple feedings out of a single clam.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back