How to treat brown algae ?

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling a small amount of brown algae diatom in my 7 gallon nano reef tank. I’ve vacuumed it out multiple times, changed filter, did big water changes , and still is growing slowly. After the 4th day of vacuuming it’s back again. What can I do to treat this??? I went out of town and a friend fed my tank way to much which caused the breakout
Sand bottom, no skimmer, feed mysis shrimp. Have snails and hermits. Cut back on feeding since this happened.

D9791D7E-53FC-4F31-B34B-2B81A89758AE.jpeg 13921EBD-9DE4-43BD-92F5-D0F3560514AB.jpeg 1C74ECA9-EDC2-45F0-AE66-C1EEFEEBC934.jpeg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are actually diatoms they will die out naturally without any intervention. If it's dinos, that's a whole other story but I don't see any of the tell-tale air bubbles in your pictures.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things I would recommend. First, get a skimmer. It will help get dissolved organics out of the water which is feeding your brown algae. Second, dosing a bacteria supplement will also help. I have used the bacteria and it removed the brown algae. I've used Brightwell and Dr. Tim's. Follow directions very closely on the bacteria. Hopefully you are doing your weekly 10% water changes and using RO or RODI water for mixing your salt.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are actually diatoms they will die out naturally without any intervention. If it's dinos, that's a whole other story but I don't see any of the tell-tale air bubbles in your pictures.
No air bubbles. No high phosphate levels or nitrates.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things I would recommend. First, get a skimmer. It will help get dissolved organics out of the water which is feeding your brown algae. Second, dosing a bacteria supplement will also help. I have used the bacteria and it removed the brown algae. I've used Brightwell and Dr. Tim's. Follow directions very closely on the bacteria. Hopefully you are doing your weekly 10% water changes and using RO or RODI water for mixing your salt.
I do weekly changes religiously. Ro water for top off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back