OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of bottle bac did you add, did you add liquid ammonia to the mix for this time interval

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia test shows strong levels and most cyclers add a bunch at the start, need to know how it’s been fed so far

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia test shows strong levels and most cyclers add a bunch at the start, need to know how it’s been fed so far
This is where I may have messed up having too many options. Thought I'd add a variety... no food or ammonia added.

1678375636486.png

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. We love to collect and decode all cycling variations here. That won't hurt anything. We can still name the date your tank will carry fish without burning them with ammonia.

**your tank presents a rare glimpse into potential mis testing. Can you post today's ammonia reading pic just ammonia by itself

Make sure to wait the required set time before taking the pic we want to see if your test is misreading right off the bat

You're saying you didn't add food nor liquid ammonia?

Can you post your pH levels too off the kit you have

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll state what my opinion of your bioload carry date is after those details, want to make sure of the presenting variables

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I w google those to see what % ammonia may be in them as feed, some of those sources are likely to be feed + bacteria mixes and we can at least see if the inputs have justification for the test reading.

Dr. Reefs thread shows fritz when fed and from an active bottle to fully implant onto surfaces within three days. For sure it would work, and I don't believe the fritz is unable to handle the nominal loading of feed from nitrocycle.

The reason this thread differs from other cycling threads is because when given a choice to explain a seemingly stuck cycle i never believe bottle bacteria given ten days feeding to adjust are dead, i believe the non digital test kit is wrong. The only thing keeping us afloat is the animals keep living and the two seneye audits we had passed :)

Going off raw pattern i feel after a water change it'll reef now. What we need to prove that it isn't pH propping us up this whole time are more seneye readings

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s perfect. Side note just to help: there are several reasons I would not dose vibrant as part of a recurring doser, recommend not to use it at all. Its not antibiotic/going to harm the cycle but it’s a form of algaecide we don’t want as a recurring low dose habituation chemical applied daily

it cannot assist you in any measurable way, it’s only utility is killing valonia algae if it gets in due to stocking of the tank

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's tonight's. Did a 20% wc afterwards.

Attachments

• 20230309_185324.jpg
    20230309_185324.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230309_185320.jpg
    20230309_185320.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230309_185239.jpg
    20230309_185239.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230309_185219.jpg
    20230309_185219.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like zero ammonia / very solid backing for safe to move forward given your # of days after dosing and feeding the bac

mwhitfield79100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Jason it's ready due to time underwater + plenty of surface area + good bottle bac and feed. It'll carry fish now can reef for sure
AF258CA1-6560-47CC-9ABC-BC19C10485B0.jpeg

UPDATE - I was going to attempt to add critters today, however I’ve noticed a change with the testing. I’ve tested today and it seems ammonia has finally fully dropped off but an increase in nitrite and nitrate.

current test reading is as follows;

Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrite - 0.50
Nitrate 5.0
Phosphate 0.1

Is this still cycling and coming towards the end? Shall I do a water change? Any suggestions?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't use testing in this thread per post #1

We are sure you're ready due to number of days your tank has waited in prep factored against the type of cycle you used. Nitrite is no longer factored in cycling that's one of our big change ups to cycling so we can focus the time on disease preps instead.

mwhitfield79100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't use testing in this thread per post #1

We are sure you're ready due to number of days your tank has waited in prep factored against the type of cycle you used. Nitrite is no longer factored in cycling that's one of our big change ups to cycling so we can focus the time on disease preps instead.
Ok so I’m going to put things to the test. Just been out and purchased a cleaner shrimp. 1x Mexican turbo snail and two hermit crabs

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are the single best test animal we can have here. They're not held at low salinity at the pet store like fish, and they're the weakest motile organism i know of: they will not tolerate any form of bad water parameters whatsoever, they'll keel right over :) and if they live/ excellent test. Can't wait to see outcome thank you for posting!

That's a perfect organism to test the neutrality of nitrite in new reef tank cycles.

Last edited:

mwhitfield79100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are the single best test animal we can have here. They're not held at low salinity at the pet store like fish, and they're the weakest motile organism i know of: they will not tolerate any form of bad water parameters whatsoever, they'll keel right over :) and if they live/ excellent test. Can't wait to see outcome thank you for posting!

That's a perfect organism to test the neutrality of nitrite in new reef tank cycles.
One question for you in that case. What’s best to feed the shrimp and keep the feeding low? I was thinking for the crabs I will lay 1 small piece of nori seaweed on a clip on the sand bed. For the shrimp in the past they have taken bits of pellets and shrimp from my fish feeding aswell as feeding of the fish, however, as this is currently a fish less tank, and the rock is the new style love rock there is nothing really in the tank to feed off. Any advice is appreciated

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single food pellet is ok that’s a huge meal for a shrimp make sure not to leave uneaten food in the tank, he will likely pick at the nori clip too

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt is strange that we go for three years and forty pages here with no tank wipeout losses by un factoring ammonia and nitrite (after day ten of any common cycle setup) and instead focus on disease preps

we never dose any cycle to 2 ppm ammonia here

we stopped using non digital kits as the guide, we use fish disease and acclimation preps to guide fish addition (many skip preps here but at least they read about it, and won’t attribute losses well after startup to ammonia from a broken cycle)

when I look at the mess old cycling threads turn out by comparison it’s shocking to me, the reverse is in effect. The posters worry and react to ammonia stalling for several weeks, they ignore all disease preps and acclimation modes, they get fish losses and continue blaming the cycle and the umpires guiding the thread keep them on this track. no acclimation nor disease preps the entire time, even when they get new fish the same procedure repeats and they manage the tank solely off what non digital kits say even if they’re dumping in lots of prime known to alter the test kit readouts.

going off sheer results alone I wouldn’t choose the other way. What a mess for their fish.

we go solely on results of bioload carry ability here vs test kit readings, its the sole mechanism keeping this thread from descending into total argument like other cycle troubleshoot threads. When fish and animals are alive here, in pattern, we accept that as the proof and it’s stopped all arguments and it’s stopped all worry about stalled cycles.

eventually we will have a fish die, or a snail dies, that happens in reefing but we now have forty pages to pattern any losses against. It’s not possible to align forty pages of reef tanks using bad cycling science.

Last edited:

mwhitfield79100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day 3 the Shrimp, crabs and snail all still alive and moving well. The shrimp is always hiding but I know they tend to do this for a while in a new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back