How to use bleach solution to eradicate Ich Tomont's inside a chiller?

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use bleach solution to eradicate Ich Tomont's inside a chiller? I have run a 10% bleach solution through it and then run fresh tap water through it for 3 hours, but am unsure if this will be enough to fully detoxify the chiller before installing it on my display tank. I don't think air drying is much of an option given the tubing and storage vessels within the chiller that are impossible to get to and hand dry. Is drying absolutely necessary for detoxification or will flushing with water for a long period work as well?

The tank will be used on is also 700L so dilution may be in my favour too.

Thanks!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to run it on a tank that is going fallow? If so run it at the same time. Otherwise I would run it on a warm fresh water tank. Not sure of the time though. Warm water gets them to hatch quicker if my memory is reliable today.

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to run it on a tank that is going fallow? If so run it at the same time. Otherwise I would run it on a warm fresh water tank. Not sure of the time though. Warm water gets them to hatch quicker if my memory is reliable today.
I am transferring it from a QT tank to my main display with fully QT'd fish and coral. I have previously successfully 'cooked' my rock at warmer temperatures to reduce fallow periods but I was hoping to use the bleach method for this as I wanted to install it in a couple of days (having a lot of temperature issues on my main tank and need an urgent fix).

Humblefish has this note from his TTM guide; "After transferring, immediately sanitize the “old tank” and all equipment using bleach or vinegar. Rinse well. Let air dry thoroughly before next use. The air drying is the sterilization process when using vinegar, or detoxification process when using bleach."

I read this as bleach being a sterilizing agent capable of eliminating any tormonts and the air drying is for detoxification only. I am hoping that the bleach would sterilize the Ich tormonts, and the freshwater rinse would detoxify the chiller compartment prior to use in my main display. Any thoughts?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing out the beach with tap water is fine given it is just pipework. If you wish, run something like prime dosed water through the chiller.

I use Bleach a lot, for everything including filter socks which I let air dry.
All my tank cleaning gear gets a bleach dip followed by a tap water rinse between tanks.

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t you just blow hot air through it for a bit? That should make any residual moisture evaporate in a hurry.
Yeah I was thinking about that as well. Could use the better half's blow drier for a bit. I might do this, Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing out the beach with tap water is fine given it is just pipework. If you wish, run something like prime dosed water through the chiller.

I use Bleach a lot, for everything including filter socks which I let air dry.
All my tank cleaning gear gets a bleach dip followed by a tap water rinse between tanks.
That sounds like what I have done is very sufficient. Very comforting to hear and I will have to keep this in mind if I want to use bleach instead of vinegar for routine maintenance on equipment.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People stress out a lot about bleach because it is basically chlorine.

Chlorine kills fish, no doubt, but it also evaporates very quickly.

Put 2ppm chlorine in water and it will be gone in 5 days

if you rinse chlorine saturated tools In fresh water it is gone If you let them dry.

Bear in mind, Chlorine based bleach is on the WHO list of essential medicines. Basically because its huge oxidising potential kills all known pathogens, and it is essentially harmless once it evaporates,

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it soak in the bleach solution before you rinsed it? I have to believe if you soaked it for several hours in a freshwater/10-20% bleach solution and rinsing for 3 hours the tomonts would have been killed and removed from the system. Certainly, allowing the chiller to completely dry would be added insurance. Getting moisture out of small diameter tubing is a challenge as you've stated. Perhaps an alcohol flush or something similar with a safe solvent that evaporates would help remove any tomonts clinging on to the bitter end.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use bleach solution to eradicate Ich Tomont's inside a chiller? I have run a 10% bleach solution through it and then run fresh tap water through it for 3 hours, but am unsure if this will be enough to fully detoxify the chiller before installing it on my display tank. I don't think air drying is much of an option given the tubing and storage vessels within the chiller that are impossible to get to and hand dry. Is drying absolutely necessary for detoxification or will flushing with water for a long period work as well?

The tank will be used on is also 700L so dilution may be in my favour too.

Thanks!

Household bleach at a 1:10 dilution for 3 hours will kill ich tomonts and pretty much everything else except maybe some bacterial spores.

Two caveats though: 1) finding household bleach that doesn't also contain surfactants, dyes and perfumes is almost impossible now days. I have found some at Gordon Food Services. You want something that says 5.25% sodium hypochlorite as the only ingredient. 2) Bleach is touch to rinse out, rinse well then rinse some more and then run some dechlor treated water through it. Finally, have somebody who has not been in the room with you smell for bleach (your nose may be burned out to the smell). Finally, wear eye protection.

Jay

SteveL99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Household bleach at a 1:10 dilution for 3 hours will kill ich tomonts and pretty much everything else except maybe some bacterial spores.

Two caveats though: 1) finding household bleach that doesn't also contain surfactants, dyes and perfumes is almost impossible now days. I have found some at Gordon Food Services. You want something that says 5.25% sodium hypochlorite as the only ingredient. 2) Bleach is touch to rinse out, rinse well then rinse some more and then run some dechlor treated water through it. Finally, have somebody who has not been in the room with you smell for bleach (your nose may be burned out to the smell). Finally, wear eye protection.

Jay
Quick question. I'm restarting my tank and replacing all the rock and sand. I want to run it with tap water and bleach before I start it up again. Can I use regular household bleach? I've been searching for bleach without surfactants and perfume, but I can't find anything that is that pure. Thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I'm restarting my tank and replacing all the rock and sand. I want to run it with tap water and bleach before I start it up again. Can I use regular household bleach? I've been searching for bleach without surfactants and perfume, but I can't find anything that is that pure. Thanks in advance!
If it is a restart, was there a disease issue? If not, I would just use tap water as a soak. Regular bleach is super difficult to source. It used to be that the regular Clorox worked well. Now it is made with "Chloromax" - surfactants and other additives that could be toxic. The GFS bleach that I mentioned was just 5.25% sodium hypochlorite the last time I checked.

Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is regular bleach hard to source? It’s the easiest thing IMO.

SteveL99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a restart, was there a disease issue? If not, I would just use tap water as a soak. Regular bleach is super difficult to source. It used to be that the regular Clorox worked well. Now it is made with "Chloromax" - surfactants and other additives that could be toxic. The GFS bleach that I mentioned was just 5.25% sodium hypochlorite the last time I checked.

Jay
Two big issues. My tank never cycled properly and its dominated by heterotrophic bacteria (started in July). Smells horrible and super cloudy. I've tried UV and Dr. Tims Eco Balance, but it hasn't worked. To make things worse, my nutrients bottomed out early on and I've got a terrible case of Dino's (coolia, and for some reason it isn't entering the water column at night). I had planned on just fighting both using natural methods, but at this point re-starting is probably going to be easier and faster. I haven't put corals in yet, so it won't be too difficult. I'm going to replace all the rock and sand as part of this, so I just want to "cook" out all the dinos and bad bacteria. tia.

SteveL99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two big issues. My tank never cycled properly and its dominated by heterotrophic bacteria (started in July). Smells horrible and super cloudy. I've tried UV and Dr. Tims Eco Balance, but it hasn't worked. To make things worse, my nutrients bottomed out early on and I've got a terrible case of Dino's (coolia, and for some reason it isn't entering the water column at night). I had planned on just fighting both using natural methods, but at this point re-starting is probably going to be easier and faster. I haven't put corals in yet, so it won't be too difficult. I'm going to replace all the rock and sand as part of this, so I just want to "cook" out all the dinos and bad bacteria. tia.

Jay
I found some here: https://www.laballey.com/products/sodium-hypochlorite-5-chlorine-lab

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back