How toxic are leathers to sps and lps?

Murraydar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys toxic enough to kill other corals? Ive been struggling with keeping sps and lps and I recently read leathers can release some nasty stuff.

I have two large toadstools, a large sinularia, cabbage leather, Kenya tree and nepthea. Also a green star polyp but I don't know if that counts. I don't run carbon usually or even a skimmer. I have a pair of clownfish nesting and laying eggs in one of the giant toadstools.

Are my fears well founded? Is running carbon enough to counteract any toxins they may be releasing or should I look to rehoming them if I wanna keep lps and sps? Thanks!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon, but I am terrible about replacing it in a timely manner to be honest. I change the bag out every few months when I remember.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure they are really toxic. I have a big ol sinularia that has been in the tank and self fragged and been cut back for years. I haven't consistently run carbon or done consistent water changes but I had plenty of thriving LPS with it for years before I took a break from the hobby and now I am soft rebooting the tank with some SPS. I added 3 frags and 2 are obviously growing. One (milka stylo) is right next to (downstream even) a clump of sinularia and it is the fastest grower so IDK. There is also a miyagi tortuosa further away which is encrusting the base just fine. There is a green stylo which seems stalled but I think it was a flow issue and I just added more a couple days ago.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back