How well would an MP40 hold up to mixing Kalk?

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how well an MP 40 wet side would hold up in mixing Kalk?
Continuously vs intermittently?
Thanks

waqas_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across your post. I had an extra mp40 dry side laying around as well so I started toying around with magnetic pills to be used as the wet side. Essentially an overpriced stirrer but I have peace of mind that I can run it 24/7 with no risk of fire.

Let me know if you go down this path. I've found the olive shaped pills are the most quiet followed by a plain cylindrical pill. I say plain becuase the ones with a centre ring or rib make the most racket.

Length is also important. 60mm plain is what I'm running currently. Has to be with mobius though so you can set the rotation speed to 1% feed mode all day. This is the only drawback I've found - the MP40 can't run slower if you need it, not without driving it yourself.

I'm trying out slightly more concentrated kalk to get a stable pH at night.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would be about the same as taking $400 and lighting it on fire. Buy a cheap powerhead. But, if you have the money, more power to you. Post some pics if you do it:)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across your post. I had an extra mp40 dry side laying around as well so I started toying around with magnetic pills to be used as the wet side. Essentially an overpriced stirrer but I have peace of mind that I can run it 24/7 with no risk of fire.

Let me know if you go down this path. I've found the olive shaped pills are the most quiet followed by a plain cylindrical pill. I say plain becuase the ones with a centre ring or rib make the most racket.

Length is also important. 60mm plain is what I'm running currently. Has to be with mobius though so you can set the rotation speed to 1% feed mode all day. This is the only drawback I've found - the MP40 can't run slower if you need it, not without driving it yourself.

I'm trying out slightly more concentrated kalk to get a stable pH at night.
Now this is Brilliant! I don’t think the OP or any of us thought about it this way... We were just too concentrated on the horror of ruining a wetside. But this is a definite No Harm No Foul!
Its a gold plated stirrer, but a stirrer non the less.

waqas_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is Brilliant! I don’t think the OP or any of us thought about it this way... We were just too concentrated on the horror of ruining a wetside. But this is a definite No Harm No Foul!
Its a gold plated stirrer, but a stirrer non the less.

It was either this or I make a diy overhead stirrer but again with a motor that would need to be rated at 24/7 operation.

If anyone goes down this path, make sure to put a piece of glass between the magnet and the container so you dont bore a hole if your container is plastic. I found a 2.5 gallon aquarium worked really well right off the hop.

Just a word of caution - watch your fingers around the magnets. The dry side will pull whatever magnet you put close to it without a care for what's in the way.

Back