How worried should I be?

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking the seams in my Red Sea as I do from time to time and noticed some coralline growing under in a couple of places. See below for an example. How worried should I be? Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

BB9FA210-8DDC-47E8-97BC-026CC8DE4523.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how you are going to scrape the coralline out of that corner but I would worry about pressure on the seams if you try and get to that tight spot.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pic. Is that between the glass panels where they meet in the corner or just under the silicone bead at the edge. If the former I probably start to worry, but if the latter I don't worry at all.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how to answer that tbh. If you’re looking dead on at the right hand side of the tank that’s where this is. I don’t think I know the difference in the two things you mentioned.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how to answer that tbh. If you’re looking dead on at the right hand side of the tank that’s where this is. I don’t think I know the difference in the two things you mentioned.

I probably did not explain it well it's hard for me to explain, but the silicone that is between the front and side glass is what holds the pieces together. The thin smear of silicone you can see in the corners that's not actually between the glass is less concerning.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I can’t really tell right now. It’s not like…fully between the glass but it’s pretty dang close. If that makes sense.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about leaks yet. Scrape it as close as you can to the silicone seal. It looks like coraline is getting under the silicone there so its a bit loose but will not jeopardize the seal. Personally i would get as close as possible and leave what is under the silicone see if it progresses. Use a good scraper. I have an old mag float with a razor blade attachment that is awesome. I really don't know what is available like that now but definitely use a razor blade near the seals not a friggin flipper and be gentile. I am kinda anal and don't like ragged seams but they will absolutely not cause a leak

These work well:

Last edited:

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best scraper I own but no idea where to get a new one

Attachments

• IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 17

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back