How would a GDM (golden dwarf moray) work in this setup?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is kind of a sequel to one of my previous posts, (would a golden dwarf moray work in this setup) and now have a few more questions. I’m wondering how my fish would do with the GDM? I have a melanurus wrasse, (he’s pretty small, around 3 inches long maybe, and not wide, and when he reaches adult size I plan to rehome him) but my clowns hang out near the back lower area of the tank at night, so how would they do with an eel prowling around? It is a biocube 32 with the stick filtration, and a refugium in the 2nd back chamber. Would the eels feeding habits be too much bioload for the tank? Right now I am doing 5 gal water changes a week. The clowns are pretty decently sized the female is about 3
Inches and the male is about 2 1/2. How would a golden dwarf moray (gymnothorax melatremus) work in this sort of environment? If anyone with insight/experience could chime in, thanks!

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size will work fine, build him a cave. My DGM doesn't leave his cave except for feeding, I would recommend sealing all holes as they can get through the tiniest holes. Don't feed him fish and your fish will be fine. I've had mine for 5 years and he doesn't bother a thing. I have wrasse, clowns, damsels, mandarin, hawkfish, filefish, royal gramma, dwarf angels, hermit crabs and snails.

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am pretty confident about my stocking, tank, ect. But am now wondering about filtration, and if the stock filtration and a refugium in the back chamber will be enough.

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine as they don't eat that much. You definitely want to kick up your export though. Skimmer/MarinePure/Bio Beads

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a dwarf but I have a regular Golden Moray about the size of an adult dwarf. 11”. He’s pretty active when he is hungry. And can eat as much as my 7”+ trigger! Although he only eats every few days.

I recently added a cleanser wrasse to the tank. The triggers didn’t bother him. Only wanted to be cleaned. But he disappeared two days later and my Golden Moray is my primary suspect!

I think some of it will depend on how big the DGM is. A think a full grown one could eat the wrasse. But just my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back