Would a golden dwarf morray work in this setup?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to see if a golden dwarf morray eel would work in the setup I have now. It is a 32 gallon biocube, I have 2 clowns and a small melanurus wrasse (he’s small now and I am rehoming him when he gets too big). Would the tank be too small to sustain him? Liveaquaria says 30 is min but they are trying to sell one... and would the bioload be too much? I’ve heard they are messy eaters so I’m wondering if the biocube would have enough filtration to sustain it. I do not have a protein skimmer. It may be a long shot but I just think they are so cool. NOTE:This is just the planning phase for future stock, I already have the clowns and the wrasse. The clowns are about 2 and a half inches(male) and 3 inches (female)

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to see if a golden dwarf morray eel would work in the setup I have now. It is a 32 gallon biocube, I have 2 clowns and a small melanurus wrasse (he’s small now and I am rehoming him when he gets too big). Would the tank be too small to sustain him? Liveaquaria says 30 is min but they are trying to sell one... and would the bioload be too much? I’ve heard they are messy eaters so I’m wondering if the biocube would have enough filtration to sustain it. I do not have a protein skimmer. It may be a long shot but I just think they are so cool. NOTE:This is just the planning phase for future stock, I already have the clowns and the wrasse. The clowns are about 2 and a half inches(male) and 3 inches (female)

In terms of tank size, I think you should be fine. They're pretty small little guys, so I don't think you'd run into issues there.

HOWEVER, eels are very messy eaters. I'd definitely either step up your water change schedule or put a skimmer on that tank if you want to keep him.

Also, make sure you block any access to the rear chambers from the display area. Eels are natural escape artists, and I could easily see one making its way back there. I once had a jawfish that kept throwing himself into the rear chambers until he died. InTank's Fish Saver is one way to deal with that.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria suggests a well established tank no smaller than 65g, with excellent filtration including a skimmer more than capable of removing the waste created.

Remember too that it is a carnivore. If it's hungry and it might fit in it's mouth, it is potential food. Morays do their hunting at night, so small sleeping fish are particularly at risk.

I kept a moray for 25 years, although a larger, and way more aggressive one - Gymnothorax Undulatus. He would happily attempt to eat ANYTHING I put in with him, including fish considerably larger than he was. Add to that eels ability to escape from openings way smaller than you would think possible and you end up with a fascinating creature than can be handful to keep long term.

Believe it or not, this is not meant to discourage you, but rather to give you a heads up on what to expect. Good luck!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a full grown Golden dwarf in my biocube for a year and he did excellent with a weekly 5G water change, skimmer and Santa monica algae scrubber I had zero issues packed full of the highest end corals around. Only reason I don't have him anymore is because in February I had a electrical house fire losing $50k of corals and fish which I lost all my corals and fish.

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria suggests a well established tank no smaller than 65g, with excellent filtration including a skimmer more than capable of removing the waste created.

Remember too that it is a carnivore. If it's hungry and it might fit in it's mouth, it is potential food. Morays do their hunting at night, so small sleeping fish are particularly at risk.

I kept a moray for 25 years, although a larger, and way more aggressive one - Gymnothorax Undulatus. He would happily attempt to eat ANYTHING I put in with him, including fish considerably larger than he was. Add to that eels ability to escape from openings way smaller than you would think possible and you end up with a fascinating creature than can be handful to keep long term.

Believe it or not, this is not meant to discourage you, but rather to give you a heads up on what to expect. Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I’m pretty confused now, as on the liveaquaria section it claims a 65 gallon, but on divers den, another part of the site that has a hiwian dwarf golden moray that has a picture of it, claims a 30 gallon or larger. Maybe they are referring to the size of the morray they have, And not the adult size?

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a full grown Golden dwarf in my biocube for a year and he did excellent with a weekly 5G water change, skimmer and Santa monica algae scrubber I had zero issues packed full of the highest end corals around. Only reason I don't have him anymore is because in February I had a electrical house fire losing $50k of corals and fish which I lost all my corals and fish.
I might have to look into skimmers if I decide to go through with this, I am doing 5 gal changes weekly right now. I’m also sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of tank size, I think you should be fine. They're pretty small little guys, so I don't think you'd run into issues there.

HOWEVER, eels are very messy eaters. I'd definitely either step up your water change schedule or put a skimmer on that tank if you want to keep him.

Also, make sure you block any access to the rear chambers from the display area. Eels are natural escape artists, and I could easily see one making its way back there. I once had a jawfish that kept throwing himself into the rear chambers until he died. InTank's Fish Saver is one way to deal with that.
Yeah if I go through with this Ill look at skimmers, rn I’m doing 5 gallon a week water changes. Thanks!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might have to look into skimmers if I decide to go through with this, I am doing 5 gal changes weekly right now. I’m also sorry for your loss.
Good plan! Thank you I’ve just rebuilt even bigger and been building my new 550g system

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back