how would you explain flow to a newbie?

smitten with ocean life

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Messages
7,827
Reaction score
25,957
Location
CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im very curious about this. some people seem like they have the perfect flow figured out. what do you go by so that you dont have a dead spot and yet corals arent getting blasted over?
 
Sure, I'll take this one...Short answer: coral response

Like many others, I find myself sitting in front of the tank just watching. Among the many things I pay attention to, swaying corals always catch my eye. Their movement informs me about the flow in the tank, and dialing in flow is one of the parts of reefing I genuinely enjoy tinkering with!

Rather than trying to hit a specific flow number, I mostly go by how the corals respond. The goal isn't necessarily to eliminate every dead spot...it's to create enough random, variable flow that detritus doesn't settle heavily and the corals maintain good extension. If the corals look happy, are moving naturally, and detritus isn't building up, I'm usually on the right track.
 
I am running a 30-gallon long (36") with an MP10 on each side and two AI Axis pumps as returns.

The second MP10 was more of a want than a need purchase. The tank was doing fine with one, but I wanted to increase overall flow and create a nice little wave action across the tank. 🌊

Even with both pumps, they're usually running below 20%. It gives me plenty of movement while keeping the torches gently dancing all day.

I have sps closest to the ends of the tank for maximum flow, torches in the middle and mushrooms/zoas on the back ends. 👌
 
nice. so you like a wave like setting? you have the mps one high and one lower on the sides?
 
I think of flow as dust and canned air... when things are stagnant dust (detritus) builds up. You spray canned air (water flow) to keep your things (corals and rocks) from getting buried in dust (detritus).
 
The wave setting is more for fun/show (I have a daily “thunderstorm” set for 5 minutes every evening. It’s more nutrient transport/flush for the day) , but my tank is generally set to reef crest (random) mode throughout day.

Here’s a recent video for you.


 
You can buy a bunch of cheap freshwater plants put them in the tank and watch how the flow affects them. This is where playing around with it works and why the question cannot be answered, How do create the best flow. It has to be experienced but not told.
 
Flow is for the exchange of gasses that if not frequently moved around, decay is a likely result.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new