How would you feel if I tore it all down?

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings and salutations,
Haven’t been on here for a while, emotional problems, anyways, I’m far from being an expert and have no idea what Dino’s are, sorry, but I was told of this product called CORAL SNOW from Germany, it’s supposed to be great for algae problems plus benefits the corals. Just a thought, again not an expert but will be trying out the Coral Snow this week for my tanks. Good luck and don’t tear it down. Raise your fist and resist!!! Lol . Peace & Love

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t been on here for a while, emotional problems, anyways, I’m far from being an expert and have no idea what Dino’s are, sorry, but I was told of this product called CORAL SNOW from Germany, it’s supposed to be great for algae problems plus benefits the corals. Just a thought, again not an expert but will be trying out the Coral Snow this week for my tanks. Good luck and don’t tear it down. Raise your fist and resist!!! Lol . Peace & Love

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me feel really lucky I beat dinos last year. I used peroxide dosing and siphoning of snot. It took 2 weeks to clear up. I also skipped water changes while battling.

I’m now battling it again in my mother in laws tank as of yesterday. Hers appears s little different than mine. Less stringy, but maybe because it’s early on at this point.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it as time... How much time have you battled the Dinos...... How much time would it take to re do the tank? I ripped down my 16' tank mid build and did not skip a beat. It took 2-3 weeks to get back on track but if i battled the dinos it would be months.

It is easy and sometimes fun re setting up a system. You are not doing it from scratch just a "soft" reset. Also this gives you the chance to fix or change things you have noticed wrong with the system. building a reef system is fun, Rebuilding is kinda annoying but still can be fun, Looking at a bunch of brown snot waiting and just hoping something good will happen is no fun.

Also this will give you a chance to install the cool Reef 2 Reef logo i am going to cut you for inside your tank :p.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be sad that you let this beat you down so much. I'd be encouraged that even someone who runs a reefing community struggles. Too many people act like you can just grow coral like weeds with no effort, and maybe for some it is that easy. But the rest of us mere mortals have to fight for it a bit.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Purigen and taking my refugium offline helped me the most in my battle with it. I tried just about everything besides peroxide.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, Rev. 55w sterilizer in a tank this big isn’t doing anything useful. I have an 80W high output Pentair that you can borrow if you pay shipping. I got it thinking I could squeeze it under my stand. WRONG. This thing is a monster UV sterilizer.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-high-output-uv-80-watt.html

I sized down to the 50W HO and haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with this behemoth yet. If I were you, I would hang a pump in the display and feed this directly. If it’s the type of Dino that goes into the water column at night, more UV should fix it.

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing everything in the books and spending countless hours searching for a cure to combat the reef killer “Dino” I came upon this potion. This little magic in a bottle killed all my Dino in my tank after the 2nd dose.

5010145B-7437-4B1E-BA5A-44C1E810E202.jpeg

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I didn’t mean for the last post to go up 3 times!!! Rookie, again I haven’t been on here for a while, but here’s the coral snow I was referring too. Maybe someone has used this and can give their opinion. I haven’t used it, but I am in about two weeks. Wanna give it a try for some red cyno and hair algae I’m battling. The battle isn’t a full blown war lol but I can’t let it win. I refuse lol. Hope this helps.

9A4C42BF-7A16-4758-801B-2913274D7834.png

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read through all the other suggestions but before you reboot, try the Diatom filter, blow the stuff off the rocks net everything floating on the surface and let the Diatom filter pull it out of the water column and the coral snow wont hurt

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I didn’t mean for the last post to go up 3 times!!! Rookie, again I haven’t been on here for a while, but here’s the coral snow I was referring too. Maybe someone has used this and can give their opinion. I haven’t used it, but I am in about two weeks. Wanna give it a try for some red cyno and hair algae I’m battling. The battle isn’t a full blown war lol but I can’t let it win. I refuse lol. Hope this helps.

9A4C42BF-7A16-4758-801B-2913274D7834.png
I tried coral snow and zeobak for red slime paused it but didn't eliminate it, finally went with the chemiclean, it did the trick

KrisC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that you are fighting dinos and can understand the desire to tear down. I just went through the same problem with my 90 g that I had for 7 years without any real issues. I tried blacking out and upping my nitrate and phosphate and leaving it alone but ended up with water that was a nice orange colour and so thick you couldn't see through it. All of my inverts died and my fish were looking sick so I took out all the rock and my fish and just left the tank alone after deciding to tear it down and start over. Unfortunately I just lost one of my favourite fish last week, my yellow tang that I had for 7 years. The really annoying kick in the pants was the way the water cleared up after I took everyone out and left it alone. The only good thing is that I ordered a new Red Sea Reefer 425XL that I am in the process of setting up. I am just wondering if I can keep the live rock I had in the old tank? I am adding all new sand and would like to not also have to replace all the rock. Maybe just add a few pieces to reseed the new sand.

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Black Pearl awesome, thanx for the reply. I was leaning towards the coral snow for it’s simpler to use than the chemiclean from what I read. I got some asteraus (check spelling) lol snails, placed them right where the problem was and they been nipping away on it for the past couple of days!!! Besides chemicals, is there any other type of live stock to battle these? Sorry to ask a follow up on this thread . I’ve tried kole tangs and no luck, they have died of ich, I stopped at two. I’m afraid to try a third time . Again still new here. And thanx again.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Phytoplankton from Algaebarn. It has a strain that competes against dino for silicates. Suncoast Marine Aquaculture (scmalab) can make a multistrained phyto mixture that contains strains to limit pest algae. If you have tried all common methods and dino persists, repetitive dosing of live phyto might be able to bring changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back