How would you guys define chalice corals?

thamnasteroid

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2020
Messages
3,666
Reaction score
3,012
Location
US
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would you define what a chalice coral is? What definition would you use to delimit what is a chalice from what is not a chalice?

Looking at the genera commonly considered chalices (Echinophyllia, Echinomorpha, Oxypora, Echinopora, Mycedium), I would define chalices as corals formerly in the family Pectiniidae (now split up into Merulinidae and Lobophylliidae). However, this definition leaves out Echinopora, and includes Pectinia. Sould Pectinia be considered a chalice? Should Echinopora not?
Mycedium mancaoi; Borneo | Credit: Tropical Research and Conservation Centre
1718118060452.png

Echinophyllia aspera; Batangas, Philippines | Credit: Ingo Rogalla
1718119180538.png
 
In this instance I believe the hobby classifications are Ultra-unhelpful with regards to (proper scientific) taxonomic groupings.

I think I have observed Hollywood stunner and various plating montipora's being lumped into the "chalice" corals in the hobby, likely because of their plating growth patterns?
 
In this instance I believe the hobby classifications are Ultra-unhelpful with regards to (proper scientific) taxonomic groupings.

I think I have observed Hollywood stunner and various plating montipora's being lumped into the "chalice" corals in the hobby, likely because of their plating growth patterns?
I have not seen plating Montipora lumped in with chalices.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new