OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my next question too. We should decide a spot for all interested parties to meet - it could be my house if needed.

In the meantime it would be nice to make up a list of what needs to be done so it can be productive. Maybe start a new thread to make it easier to follow?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be involved and be there for the meet. Would it be possible to do this on a weekend John or no? During the week may be hard for me to make. also I dunno what my schedule will bring in the next couple of days or weeks.

I too think a list of discussion should be brought up on a seperate thread.

Eric

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why it couldn't be on the weekend. Got the holidays coming up. When to have it would be a good question. I can volunteer my place and a case of beer if everyone wants...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEER!!!! I like Beer! Count me in. That would be easy for me to do. Can my wife come with though? LOL would make it easier on me!

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion I do have though John is if we wait until after the holiday's? I know most of us want to get this rolling but I have found in the past its hard to get people together during this time of the year. If not Its cool. just a suggestion!

Eric

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i vote early next year also....i have a tank to set up, birthday party for my will be 2 year old...and cant forget xmas :D...so im saying that i wanna be there also

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like it oto be after the holidays too. I am just too busy right now to make it.

kesslerkid01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the meeting whaaits till after x-mas some of it can be discussed at the meeting in larson for those who go the meeting during the week i forget the date but some stuff can happen there!

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like January for sure then. I've also got about 100 pages of stuff from other clubs to get sorted out. I'll try to get it organized and start a loose agenda.

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
make sure there is a 6 pack of soda or something for those of us who aren't quite legal age. also didn't know if this was brought up yet or maybe it will be discussed at the meet, but any talk of a club president or something similar?

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we can call them whatever we want, but in any structured organization there are elected officials to run the business side of things. I'm trying to stay away from making a big deal about that part because in our case the officers won't exactly have a lot of power beyond running a few meetings and making sure the small amount money is handled correctly. My idea for the club is a total democracy in the purest sense. The majority will decide everything important. The president however will be the public face of the group, club contact, etc...

And I'll make some Kool Aid for ya ;)

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea John - i'm sure Holly and I would be interested in joining. Let's get something on the calendar for January and hash out the details. Thanks for taking the initiative.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when we tried to set up a meeting at Kris's house. There were several people who post often, are very involved in reefing, and are very involved in the FVRC activities that were interested, but unable to make it. It's easy to predict that you'll never be able to pick a time or a day when all the most interested people will be able to get together. Is there a reason why there has to be a face to face meeting as opposed to discussing all the topics on line in a specific forum?? I'd like to be at this meeting, but as far away as I am it's highly unlikely I'd be able to attend. I suspect you'll find many people unable to attend a single meeting to hash out details and make decisions. If you'd take one topic a week and start a thread about it allowing all interested to post their input then you could get input from far more people than just those that can make it to a meeting. This would also make it much easier for people to join and be involved. If your truly interested in allowing the majority to decide and creating a democratic environment then don't limit the majority by requiring the attendance of a meeting to decided some of the most important aspects of what your trying to create.

Let me give a simple example of what I'm trying to suggest. First you'd have to get a list of everyone interested in creating this club. Take a week and post on several forums that people from the fox valley frequent. Let them know there is a formal club being put together and if they're interested they should chime in on a thread you create. After a week or two weeks you can then tally all those interested. You've already got the start of a list here.

Once you get a list of people who are serious enough to get involved then those will be the first members and you can lay out the agenda for those people to make decisions on. Start a new thread with a poll only allowing those involved to vote (Each person who votes would have to post their reply as opposed to just completing the poll to ensure the results aren't skewed by those less interested and just maliciously monkeying with important poll results). After a "club fee/dues" are established you can limit the decision making to be determined only by the paying club members therefore I'd suggest that be one of the first topics discussed. Another option was suggested by the Rev to allow him to create a forum on R2R only accessible to the club members. Allow the decision making to be done within that specific forum that only members have access to. The idea would then be to allow a specific topic to be "active" for a week or two weeks and after a deadline the decision will be made based on "your indicated" majority rule.

For example the first topic could be: "How much should yearly (or monthly) dues cost? Would people prefer A) $5 per month B) $10 per month C) $25 per year D) $50 per year or E) $75 per year."

Another example would be: "Who should be treasurer and manage the incoming and outgoing money?" Those interested in taking that role can chime in then a poll can be created to allow people to vote on who they would prefer for the postition. That poll can be open for a week or two and then after a determined stop point the poll will be closed and the decision made. With the "majority rules" concept, decisions can be made very easily in this fashion.

There will continually be decisions to be made, - what to spend the money on, where to go for a trip, what store to set up accounts with, what to name the club, etc.... Do you plan on having a formal meeting each time you need to decide an answer to one of those questions? That would again limit the decision making to only those who can attend.

On the RC thread I indicated I'd first like to sit back and see what comes of this before I get involved, but I guess there's really nothing to lose to try this out. I'm interested, but only if there is some other means of paticipation in decision making other than a get-together because that would give those who are able to attend a supreme advantage of having a say over the decision making. Those who cannot attend would have no say.

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the well thought out response.

I agree with the voting question. There does however have to be face to face meetings for the officers of the club for it to work and be effective. Virtually every type of organization is set up that way to conduct business. However, we can easily discuss new business at meetings with officers and any interested parties attending and post a voting poll the next day for paying members only to make the final decision. The business meetings could be held at the member's house that's hosting that month's meet. Anyone interested could be at that meet say a half hour before the meet starts to have a quick rundown of club business and decisions to be made. In the spirit of complete transparency, all info would be available on the website from every meeting.

It is my intention to do the bulk of the work on the forum - hash out the constitution, mission statement, bylaws, member requirements, ect... We can even nominate people for officer postions on the forum, but it will take a little longer to do it that way, given that all positions have to be nominated and those people accept said nomination, then end up on the ballot poll. You are totally correct in saying that doing this at a face to face meeting would exclude some people from having a vote that counts. How's that?

Well, I guess next I'll post a thread for interested parties and start a running list. We'll put a two week window to get on it and then start with the nuts and bolts questions of what we want this club to be and handle one topic at a time. By then I can have an outline of a typical constitution, bylaws, mission, etc... and we can as a group revise it according to what want to see. This should be easy. I have the printed structure and code of conduct for about a dozen clubs and most of them are so similar you can't tell them apart.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the well thought out response.

There does however have to be face to face meetings for the officers of the club for it to work and be effective. Virtually every type of organization is set up that way to conduct business.

I agree entirely and completely understand that aspect.

However, we can easily discuss new business at meetings with officers and any interested parties attending and post a voting poll the next day for paying members only to make the final decision.

IMO this aspect of the clubs management would be critical. Allowing everyone to have a say in the decision making is key. Limiting the decision making to only those that attend a meeting would very much leave out a vast majority of people that would like to participate and have their say. Again, just my opinion.

In the spirit of complete transparency, all info would be available on the website from every meeting.

Spectacular idea!

It is my intention to do the bulk of the work on the forum - hash out the constitution, mission statement, bylaws, member requirements, ect...

Very kind of you to put that much effort into getting this going!

You are totally correct in saying that doing this at a face to face meeting would exclude some people from having a vote that counts. How's that?

You lost me on this one John??? I just want some way for everyone to have a say and prevent a situation in which a select few are making all the decisions.

Well, I guess next I'll post a thread for interested parties and start a running list. We'll put a two week window to get on it and then start with the nuts and bolts questions of what we want this club to be and handle one topic at a time. By then I can have an outline of a typical constitution, bylaws, mission, etc... and we can as a group revise it according to what want to see. This should be easy. I have the printed structure and code of conduct for about a dozen clubs and most of them are so similar you can't tell them apart

You've got me on board!! Appreciate your efforts!

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, that last question of yours is out of context when you separate the last two lines. I agree with you. I was just asking "how's that?" to that whole paragraph :)

Looks good so far. Thank you to everyone for keeping this a positive thread. It's getting a lot of reads and starting a lot of conversations off the board. I'd say we're off to a good start...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back