Howdy all

stu3796

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Charlie. I've had freshwater tanks just about my whole life. About 12 years ago I had a 55 gallon saltwater tank (FOWLR) for about 3 years but due to work and young kids I just didn't have the time to keep it up so I gave it away. I currently have a 30 gallon apistogramma cichlid tank and a fluval spec that had various nano fish.

My youngest son (10) got SCUBA certified this past summer and after a wonderful trip to Jamaica he is absolutely hooked on all things saltwater and has successfully talked me into setting up a saltwater tank. My wife is less convinced so instead of letting me buy the brand new setup I wanted I was told to compromise and setup a topless Fluval 6 I had setting around empty and prove we would actually take care of it before going big. I tried to explain that smaller isn't easier with salt and well that seems to have been her point. So we're going to put a ton of time and effort into this tiny reef tank so we can do well and upgrade.

I just set up the tank Friday to make sure no leaks (passed) and ordered all my missing supplies (except for lights) and hoping to setup with live sand, dry rock and bacteria this coming weekend. Then it's off to coral which is something I've never had.

Looking forward to the journey and I'll probably ask questions and share too much along the way.

Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
stu3796

stu3796

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nano tanks are hard and pico tanks are incredibly difficult. I wish you and your son the best of luck! Invest in doing the research up front and reserving weekly time for maintenance and you'll do alright!
Exactly which is why I'm so happy to have found this forum!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world Charlie. Hope your son works hard with the tank to show that he’s worth a bigger one. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Charlie. I've had freshwater tanks just about my whole life. About 12 years ago I had a 55 gallon saltwater tank (FOWLR) for about 3 years but due to work and young kids I just didn't have the time to keep it up so I gave it away. I currently have a 30 gallon apistogramma cichlid tank and a fluval spec that had various nano fish.

My youngest son (10) got SCUBA certified this past summer and after a wonderful trip to Jamaica he is absolutely hooked on all things saltwater and has successfully talked me into setting up a saltwater tank. My wife is less convinced so instead of letting me buy the brand new setup I wanted I was told to compromise and setup a topless Fluval 6 I had setting around empty and prove we would actually take care of it before going big. I tried to explain that smaller isn't easier with salt and well that seems to have been her point. So we're going to put a ton of time and effort into this tiny reef tank so we can do well and upgrade.

I just set up the tank Friday to make sure no leaks (passed) and ordered all my missing supplies (except for lights) and hoping to setup with live sand, dry rock and bacteria this coming weekend. Then it's off to coral which is something I've never had.

Looking forward to the journey and I'll probably ask questions and share too much along the way.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 24

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back