Howmto kill zoa's/palys

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have unwanted zoa's/palys growing on baserock that I won't be able to remove. Is there any chemical I can use to melt them away?

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried it before, but if it's a smaller patch of zoas, maybe could try covering in putty?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have unwanted zoa's/palys growing on baserock that I won't be able to remove. Is there any chemical I can use to melt them away?
I would be careful killing them in the tank - depending on how many there are. Since they can release toxin when disturbed - that can hurt other things in your tank - again depending on the number you're trying to kill. I have seen others recommend injection with vodka mixed with Kalk - as it (so they said) dissolves more Kalk. Seriously - I would try to frag off the rock - or remove it (if at all possible) - or leave them there. Why do you want to get rid of them>

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd avoid killing the zoas. It's bad ju-ju to deliberately kill corals.

Most live rock is relatively easy to chip pieces off. If you can't remove the rock from the tank, try using bone snips to chip away at the zoas. Then you can glue them on frag plugs and sell them!

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It spread too quick and sort of ugly (jf captain jerks).

Attachments

• 20200928_175812.jpg
    20200928_175812.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 54

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely get money for a colony that big.

I wouldn't kill a colony that big IMO. Definitely bad ju-ju.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are a couple of methods but can also place risk of toxins being released, amongst disruptions with water quality.

I would:

Sell as a colony - Easy $50-$100
Take to a pet store for store credit

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one of my LFS's selling a colony of those that was 1/3 of that size for $100

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem here is that OP's colony is on base rock, which I assume means that his entire aquascape is sitting on that rock and it cannot be removed without disturbing the entire tank. Killing them in the tank and especially after they've grown so numerously is not going to be an easy task. The tank looks pretty big, if you can find a regal angel for sale (and your tank is as big as I think it is) a lot of them tend to munch on zoas and palys which would be a good thing in your case just to get rid of them without potentially causing harm through the release of palytoxins (captain jerks happen to be very toxic). If you dont want this fish for any reason, I would suggest fragging off as many as you can then supergluing or injecting the rest with aptasia X, kalkwasser, H2O2, probably anything will work as long as you actually inject it into the polyp not just squirt it on the outside

Back