How's everyone experience with Live Aquaria Diver's Den in 2021?

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading a lot of mixed reviews regarding Diver's Den but mostly are complaints, which makes sense because people who are unsatisfied are more likely going to speak up. Was wondering if there were any positive reviews of them as of recently or maybe within the last year too?

They have 2 fishes on there that I am really interested in purchasing

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOA , they package poorly to save money and still charge a box fee, I demanded my money back and will not return

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used DD for years to stock both my reef and FOWLR tanks.

Things have changed a lot with Live Aquaria in the last couple of years. Of note, they’ve increased their prices, added a $9.99 box charge and cut the guarantee down from 14 days to 7. None of these are good for the consumer.

That said, I ordered a Sargassum Trigger a month ago from DD, and he’s done really well. Arrived healthy and fat, ate right away and made it through QT no problem. That’s been my experience with most of the fish I’ve ordered from them.

DD isn’t perfect, or cheap, but they do deliver a quality product.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found many of these mail order places can be less than ideal. Recently visited one of these places in PA and was disappointed by the conditions in which the fish were kept. Several dead specimens and others in relatively poor shape. Items that online were claimed to be in stock that were not.
In my decades of experience, I find nothing provides more consistent quality than finding a LFS that lives it...you know when you walk in the door. I travel 90 minutes to the nearest LFS that is of acceptable quality for me and am NEVER disappointed.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know but could someone explain difference between Divers Den and LiveAquaria in general? I see a noticeable price difference most of the time and of course the WYSIWYG but what else?

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never ordered fish from them but I have ordered inverts 2 fire shrimp and tronchus snails both are still well had for 3 mo no issues but I would be wary on the fish side I only trust TSM and marine collectors

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only experience has been one order — I ordered a pair of feather dusters from DD, and did so b/c my LFS didn’t have any I’d liked, and I didn’t want to order sight unseen, so I did DD b/c I could see the exact specimens I’d be sent. They were packed well, big and beautiful, came in great condition, and are thriving about 4 months into having them. Side note: man, I didn’t realize feather dusters could poop so much!

What I didn’t like:

The box fee.
Another $10 on top of already-expensive overnight shipping. For this reason I prob won’t order there again.

Hitchhikers.
The feather dusters came w/their tubes and some sand attached. I did what I could, but stuff went into my tank. Not anything bad that I’ve noticed so far — just amphipods, and an asterina star (like, how? I thought I checked them thoroughly), so this particular thing wouldn’t deter me from ordering again.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve heard a lot of bad experiences lately. Enough for me to steer clear. It’s amazing they’ve actually gotten worse since Petco sold them. I had high hopes they’d return to what they were before Petco bought DFS.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know but could someone explain difference between Divers Den and LiveAquaria in general? I see a noticeable price difference most of the time and of course the WYSIWYG but what else?
I don’t really know the difference besides wysiswg. Just remember, they are owned by petco now. Petco has gotten better with their saltwater fish (20 years ago they were in horrible shape) but still far from good.

I have only heard wonderful this about TSM. I have also heard good things about Dr Reef.

Marine collectors has had some bad reviews lately.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t really know the difference besides wysiswg. Just remember, they are owned by petco now. Petco has gotten better with their saltwater fish (20 years ago they were in horrible shape) but still far from good.

I have only heard wonderful this about TSM. I have also heard good things about Dr Reef.

Petco sold Live Aquaria August 2020

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from WYSIWYG...

Two different facilities — LA is in California and DD is in Wisconsin.

I may be a little off on some of the details, but, AFAIK...

DD was (maybe still is?) managed by a very well regarded person in the reef keeping field. **Update: Ah I was probably thinking of Kevin Kohen ... who apparently has left per trmiv's post a moment ago.**

They were more selective about the specimens they acquired. More observant and careful with those specimens. And ran cleaner better maintained operation and facility.

For several years, this resulted in customers receiving much healthier livestock than from most other places. (The recent increase in post about DOAs or sick arrivals seems to indicate their quality has slipping quite a bit though.)

They also tend to get less common fish and critters ... some of which are never found on the LA portion of the site.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had significantly better fish shipping experience with DD vs their other facilities.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They’re no longer owned by Petco (Petco sold the business a while ago).

Besides the WYSIWYG factor, the main difference is that DD fish and corals are held longer, quarantined and medicated before being put up for sale. That’s where the extra costs come into play.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back