Hubtech's 210 Mixed Reef Build

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, brief intro.....I'm basically new to reefing. I have three tanks all setup within the last 6-8 months; a 46 mixed tank, a 90 FOWLR, and a 50 Lowboy frag system. As it happens with many of us.... I've been bitten by the reefing bug. Over the last 3-4 months I've been deal hunting, snagging all of my bits and pieces to build up my system. Before I start picture dumping, I figured I'd lay out my plans and equipment, just in case I'm missing something.

Equipment:
  • 210G Aqueon Reef Ready Tank
  • Custom built stand to match cabinetry in our home
  • 75G Aqueon Tank (relegated to sump duty)
  • RO 202-S for all skimming
  • Jebao CP-40 x 2 Gyres (have some of these in my current tanks and LOVE them
  • Jebao PP 15 x 1 just in case I need some more flow somewhere
  • Jebao DCT9 2300 GPH return pump
  • Deltec Kalk Stirrer
  • Tunze 3155 ATO
  • Neptune Apex Controller
  • AI Hyrda 52HD x2 and 26hd x2 (I currently only have one 26hd..hunting a bargain on another)
  • Ehiem Jäger 300w heater x 2
Methodology:
Keep it simple.....stupid. I know I'm new... so I lack the years of experience many of you guys have, but I am an avid researcher and have learned a thing or two from running these 3 tanks all at once fairly manually. For this system I'm going to be running as large of a fuge as I can fit in the 75. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with chaeto or find another fun effective macro for my nutrient export. I will be running the Deltec Kalk Stirrer inline with my ATO to take care of Cal/Alk/PH while I assess my tanks needs and desires.

OP
OP
Hubtech

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under Cabinet Lighting & a bit of a Fitting oops!

So the cabinet is painted and looks amazing! using a nice alkyd paint, super strong, zero voc, etc etc. looks awesome and is hard as a rock, AND matches the cabinets in our house so it just kind of helps the 210g aquarium to blend in....right....

Anyway, Today I have lit the cabinet and it looks spectacular. I am a smart home enthusiast, and had picked up some Osram Lightify under cabinet strips at Lowes a while back when they were blowing them out. 6' of these color changeable lights, and the white interior of the cabinet makes for a great amount of lighting! Once I start finishing out the cabinet, I'll clean up the wiring for everything so dont worry about the dangling cords. Check out the shots below:

View media item 2249
I won't say I messed up but.... I messed up a little bit here. My cabinet maker and I must have had a miscommunication and I just caught it. One of the main reasons I wanted a 36" tall cabinet was for the internal space. I didn't realize he was going to soak up 3" of that with the bottom platform. That being said, my 75G tank fits with enough room for me to get my arm in it.. so that's a win but I can't get my skimmer body in/out once I set everything in from the back. I dont foresee this as a big issue, as I can disassemble the skimmer, just can't get the body out so all cleanings will have to be done in sump which is a bit of a bummer but it is what it is. Here's the rest of the pictures for the day. Enjoy!!

This is the 75G "sump" in place. You can also see I warmed up the color of the LEDs.

View media item 2250
Here you can see the skimmer and return pumps in their assumed positions. No baffles yet, so nothings set in stone.

View media item 2251View media item 2252
Question for you guys.. Should I put the back of the cabinet back on or leave it off? Gas Exchange? cool ambient lighting from the cabinet lights if I want? What says you?

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oo! Looks like this one is gonna be great! Following!

OP
OP
Hubtech

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the stand is painted and curing for another day or two. Planning out my 75g Sump design. once more. . . KISS. 3 section fuge with each end being fed by an overflow. 30G fuge > Return< Skimmer .
fullsizeoutput_8c6.jpeg
ZI+8zKk8TRWZUdfXK8M7QQ.jpg

OP
OP
Hubtech

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice update in post three. didn't realize editing wouldn't bump up the thread. wonder if I should start a new one?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back