Huge bubble algae problem

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Pitho crabs.

None of the problems that emerald crabs cause, and these guys actually eat bubble algae.
Okay, I ordered 6 of them from Reefcleaners while it was in stock yesterday. I hope you're right.

1697839910877.png

Low Tech Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people hate this product. I have to admit that I've used it in the past to combat valonia. I followed the dosing directions and it worked in a fantastic manner with no downside to my tank. I'd recommend it to anyone that's fighting valonia and doesn't have another "biological" option due to tank size, critter compatibly issues or tank size. It worked very well for me in my experience.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why? I'm curious to know.
Did you have a problem with this product? I used it in the past and had no issues.
Thanks in advance for your reply!
I haven't used it. I try to avoid chemical treatments if at possible. I have bubble algae and do manual removal as much as possible.

Did lots of reading of issues on vibrant. I agree it works for people, but I ymmv seems to be the tagline and without knowing what it is exactly it is, I find it seems prudent and to inform people of other options or to at least do their own due diligence before coming to the conclusion of using it.

Lots of products have people with good or bad experiences, seems just as many people had success with Vibrant as others might have had losses.

Philip Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon it out and replace the water. Took so time but it is definitely under control. Occasionally I will see one or two but no a big issue. Good luck

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna get a foxface and I have an emerald but I feel like I'd need 20 of them to get any work done as I've never seen him again in a month or more
Great strategy. You might lose those emeralds in time but spending $100 to rescue the tank with a natural solution seems worth it

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I ordered 6 of them from Reefcleaners while it was in stock yesterday. I hope you're right.

1697839910877.png

I hope they work as well for you as they did for me. Just to offer some evidence, in the first photo you can see a rock next to the crab with a few acans. I got this rock from a friend and it had a few bubbles but quickly became overwhelmed with them.

The second photo was 48 hours later. I did not remove a single bubble myself on that rock. The crab did it all.

IMG_7515.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

I really like these crabs. Been in the hobby for decades and never had them before this, and I’m a huge fan now. And I personally think they look pretty cool as well.

IMG_1128.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well now I have an army of them . I have a big bag of nori to feed them when they have eaten all the bubble. Hope they like Nori. I hope to keep them as vegans lol

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I have an army of them . I have a big bag of nori to feed them when they have eaten all the bubble. Hope they like Nori. I hope to keep them as vegans lol

They eat other algae too! Not just bubble. Which makes them even better in my eyes.

They also like the seaweed on the clip. I have a small tomini tang and usually have small pieces on the clip, and will move it down to the bottom of the tank for them to finish off. They will mow through it haha

Craig77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pervasive bubble algae issue (despite low nitrates and phosphates). I seem to have created the ideal conditions for bubble algae growth and have been manually removing it from every rock in the tank for months. I also purchased pitho crabs from reef cleaners. These guys are awesome so far. They move around slowly, have tiny little claws, and don’t seem to bother anyone. I watch them just go after the bubble algae constantly. And they’re a bit entertaining—they sometimes bury themselves in the substrate and wear algae on their carapace. My experience with pitho crabs for bubble algae has been pretty fantastic. I hope they also work for you. I have had emerald crabs, but they don’t seem nearly as consistently interested in bubble algae as the pitho crabs are

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pervasive bubble algae issue (despite low nitrates and phosphates). I seem to have created the ideal conditions for bubble algae growth and have been manually removing it from every rock in the tank for months. I also purchased pitho crabs from reef cleaners. These guys are awesome so far. They move around slowly, have tiny little claws, and don’t seem to bother anyone. I watch them just go after the bubble algae constantly. And they’re a bit entertaining—they sometimes bury themselves in the substrate and wear algae on their carapace. My experience with pitho crabs for bubble algae has been pretty fantastic. I hope they also work for you. I have had emerald crabs, but they don’t seem nearly as consistently interested in bubble algae as the pitho crabs are

That is cool to hear you had success with the Pithos. They can make a nice dent in the stuff pretty quick.

I have 2 that grow a little patch of algae on the front of their head. Funny little guys!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back