Huge issue

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two tangs yellow and purple in my tank for at least 5 months without a problem. Well now the yellow tang has been really bothering the purple to a point were he hides all day. Im ticked, I tryed to catch the yellow tang but have been un successful, My tank is a 225 reef, any suggestions please or I think the purple will parish, There both very healthy and bright colored,both around 3.5" :cry:

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try a fish trap. leave it in for a few days let them get used to it, then put food in it.. and wahlaa. or so ive heard. lol.
i also saw someone on here go fishing in their tank with a hookless hook (not sure what the proper name is) to catch one of their fish.
i could be wrong but i would say if its bothering it that much that it will probably continue.
maybe someone else with some more tang experience can chime in.....

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack used a very small hook filed off the barb put the hook on a piece of fishing line and put a small piece of shrimp on the hook.... he set the hook caught the tang... took him about 30 seconds to catch it and the tang only had a pin hole from the hook and was healed up in less than a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is so weird its like Im being played by my fish... Now there both swimming around like nothing ever took place :neutral:

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs will fight from time to time. It helps sometimes to have a 3rd one in there to keep the peace.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed them nori? I feed mine nori every day and it keeps them well fed and busy.

I like this magnet nori feeder I made the most. I got the magnet set at Dr. Fosters and just cut a piece of plastic tubing to fit the holder.

Image059.jpg

Image018-7.jpg

Image062.jpg

kass

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kass, That is a really cool idea. I have problems with my nori floating away within 10 min of placing it in the tank using those regular clips. Debbie

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a small mirror ( about the size of your hand or a little bigger ) at the end of the tank away from where the Purple Tang hides . The YellowTang bully will see his reflection and assume a new Tang has entered the area and fight with himself so to speak . This should give the Purple Tang he has been picking on some room to relax .

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the magnets are made to replace any suction cups.
I was tired of my suction cup clips falling off all the time. You get 1 set of magnets with several sized clips for around $5. The plastic tube works better to keep the nori on and takes longer for the fish to pick it off.

Seaslug, like the sister flo lol

kass

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly like Flo...LOL . Tangs are always aggresive and have to establish there place on the reef , when they are put in an aquarium this aggresive behavior becomes even more , because of the small space they now call home . This is why people have a constant debate over tank size for Tangs . The best way to add more than one tang is to do it all at once if possible . Even then they may have to fight it out to establish territory . It's just the way it is........even in the ocean this happens with all the room in the world to swim .

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I do feed nori but the yellow tang has taken over the tank, he even pushes my niger trigger around, is he crazy :amazed:I will try the bait and hook idea now

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back