Humidity control in your stand?

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently acquired a 3ft 70 gallon tall tank with a stand and canopy. The stand and canopy were in need of serious TLC/Refinishing/replacement. While working on the project i discovered that almost ALL the hardware, from the stand veneer set screws to the canopy top side hinges, had rusted and corroded.
My question is what does everyone that uses a stand sump do to control humidity and corrosion?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build an air-tight fishroom especially for my sump in the basement when the HVAC guy said my setup rusted out my furnace

My wife was furious

Angry Fox Tv GIF by DuncanvilleFOX

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently acquired a 3ft 70 gallon tall tank with a stand and canopy. The stand and canopy were in need of serious TLC/Refinishing/replacement. While working on the project i discovered that almost ALL the hardware, from the stand veneer set screws to the canopy top side hinges, had rusted and corroded.
My question is what does everyone that uses a stand sump do to control humidity and corrosion?
I need to do something about the humidity in my new stand. I think a lot of people are buying small computer fans and making a hole in the back of the cabinet. On the hardware, use acrylic clear spray paint so that they don't rust.

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build an air-tight fishroom especially for my sump in the basement when the HVAC guy said my setup rusted out my furnace

My wife was furious

Angry Fox Tv GIF by DuncanvilleFOX
Ohh man thats bad. You need dehumidification or major ventilation for a basement fish room. I actually work water/mold restoration so I know all about some water damage. What’s happing is called secondary damage in the remediation industry. Secondary damage occurs when humidity builds up. If the dew point is reached the water in the air starts to condensate, I.e droplets on the walls of the enclosed spac. Later mold will form. Faster if the air is stagnant.
NOTE TO MEMBERS!: Never turn your HVAC unit completely off when on vacation. Switch the fan to ON

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh man thats bad. You need dehumidification or major ventilation for a basement fish room. I actually work water/mold restoration so I know all about some water damage. What’s happing is called secondary damage in the remediation industry. Secondary damage occurs when humidity builds up. If the dew point is reached the water in the air starts to condensate, I.e droplets on the walls of the enclosed spac. Later mold will form. Faster if the air is stagnant.
NOTE TO MEMBERS!: Never turn your HVAC unit completely off when on vacation. Switch the fan to ON
The room is mitigated

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on the fan is to pull moisture (blow) out vs blow dry air in. No reason to push humid air through all the crevices and much easier to replace a rusted fan than a stand.that’s my first idea.
In my stand the back is not open. Left, right, and front side have glass doors. Only way I would be able to install a fan is cutting into the back wall which makes me very nervous.(3ft 70gallon) Seeing if there are other options

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are just wanting to remove humid air and aren't trying to cool anything, you won't need much air flow. A 3ft stand is a pretty small space. A standard computer fan would probably do the job without compromising the stand.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my current stand, I left the back open and the doors have a slight gap at the top. I run ceiling fan in the room on low all year(switching direction in the winter. I have never had condensate in this stand.
I also run a dehumidifier upstairs as I found the windows condensated during the winter

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back