Hybrid ttm 1st day

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy. I’ve got hit by a velvet out break that killed 20/25 fishes in my tank in a week. Decided to catch the remaining fishes to qt with hybrid ttm. Gem tang, powder brown, firefish, long nose and borbonius made it pass the hydrogen peroxide 30 mins bath but the yellow coris din.

After moving the tangs to a clean qt I notice the brown tangs body is badly bruised and one of its fin seems to not b working. Is that normal? Any thing I can do to help it? Gem tang looks perfectly fine. Btw how long do u guys normally take before you give them food ? And how many times do u feed a day?
IMG_3716.png IMG_3715.png

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are powder brown before hp bath and qt. This is after.

Attachments

• IMG_3737.png
    IMG_3737.png
    705.8 KB · Views: 24

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the tang's fin got damaged during the transfer.

How many transfer do you intend to perform?

You can feed the fish, but I don't think they are going to eat. Ammonia won't be a concern since you are transferring the fish.

The big issue is what to do with the fish at the end of the TTM? You can't put them back into the display, they'll just get reinfected. If you try to hold them in the transfer tank, the ammonia will go too high.

Jay

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the tang's fin got damaged during the transfer.

How many transfer do you intend to perform?

You can feed the fish, but I don't think they are going to eat. Ammonia won't be a concern since you are transferring the fish.

The big issue is what to do with the fish at the end of the TTM? You can't put them back into the display, they'll just get reinfected. If you try to hold them in the transfer tank, the ammonia will go too high.

Jay
Total 4 more transfers to go. Whole process will take 2 weeks. I’ve started a 30 gallon holding tank. Shud be cycled in 2 weeks. These 5 fishes will b there til the fallow period is over. Should I do 6 weeks or longer to b in the safe side?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did the hybrid tank method when I had a velvet outbreak a while back. I treated most my fish with copper, but my puffer and eel were not taking it too well so I had to use the hybrid ttm for them. I fed them once a day and never ran into ammonia issues. This may be anecdotal, but I saw significant improvement in my puffer (who was really struggling from velvet) pretty quickly with the httm. The httm worked great for me and I haven't had any issues since.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total 4 more transfers to go. Whole process will take 2 weeks. I’ve started a 30 gallon holding tank. Shud be cycled in 2 weeks. These 5 fishes will b there til the fallow period is over. Should I do 6 weeks or longer to b in the safe side?
I wouldn’t extend TTM that long, it is too stressful. If the fish’s symptoms have abated, you can stop in two weeks, when the 30 gallon has cycled.

Jay

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t extend TTM that long, it is too stressful. If the fish’s symptoms have abated, you can stop in two weeks, when the 30 gallon has cycled.

Jay
The 6 weeks was meant for fallow period for my main display. Was thinking if I should go longer on that?

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a positive note.. i did a few dose of hydrogen peroxide on my main display and it got rid of the diatoms lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 weeks was meant for fallow period for my main display. Was thinking if I should go longer on that?
6 weeks is an absolute minimum, water temperature needs to be above 81 degrees for that time frame. 60 days is safer, and should be used if the water temp is below 81.

Jay

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys woke up this morning and notice the gem tang wasn’t doing very well. It was very healthy and eating like a pig before qt. Even after the hp bath it looks good. But not sure what happened overnight. Fins looks wrinkled. And breathing quite heavy. Water smells fishy. seachem ammonia badge showing a slight green colour in ammonia. Just dosed abit of prime. Should I do a water change before the 72 hours mark?.
IMG_3758.png
IMG_3757.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok… it’s getting worse. Basically melting. Is this brookynella? But I did not c any symptom before the hydrogen peroxide bath. Now I’m going to try a 90 mins dip on reef rally pro. Let’s c if I can save it. Seems a goner tho
IMG_3763.jpeg

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, that sucks. Is it possible the powder brown was attacking it? Also what % peroxide were you using and at what dilution with water for your bath? Did you have some form of aeration on the tank such as an air stone? The water appears to be really cloudy in those pictures.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - looks like it could be a secondary bacterial infection from some injury, or from the damage from parasites. I agree that the water quality is also an issue - it looks cloudy and the ammonia badge turning green is a bad sign (can you get a more accurate ammonia test?)

In terms of damage control for the remaining fish - get the water quality back in shape, do you have any ability to stop the TTM and go with a stable tank to hold them?

Jay

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is not cloudy. I’m using a plastic container as quarantine tank. It’s not clear glass. I’ve dosed prime today to control the ammonia. Could it b hydrogen peroxide overdose? Cos I dosed for 5.5 gallon and might have actually 3 gallons of water only. Yes, runnning air stone

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - looks like it could be a secondary bacterial infection from some injury, or from the damage from parasites. I agree that the water quality is also an issue - it looks cloudy and the ammonia badge turning green is a bad sign (can you get a more accurate ammonia test?)

In terms of damage control for the remaining fish - get the water quality back in shape, do you have any ability to stop the TTM and go with a stable tank to hold them?

Jay
I’m force to continue with ttm. Holding tank just started cycling yesterday. The borbonius and long nose is in another ttm tank. Both looks ok. But not eating yet. The powder brown has improved from the initial bruising and fin issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is not cloudy. I’m using a plastic container as quarantine tank. It’s not clear glass. I’ve dosed prime today to control the ammonia. Could it b hydrogen peroxide overdose? Cos I dosed for 5.5 gallon and might have actually 3 gallons of water only. Yes, runnning air stone
I’m not at home, so I don’t have my peroxide calculator, so I can’t check your dose.
Prime is not the best for ammonia control, run a search here about some issues with it. I prefer Amquel.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back