Not sure how

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve been doing the hybrid ttm. Borbonius went thru a hp bath and 3 days in a clean tank. Setup 2nd tank for transfer. Salinity was brought down from 1.026 to 1.023 . The moment I took it and put it in new water its gills bulge and started turning upside down. Within secs it was dead. What may have cause this?

IMG_3822.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I’ve been doing the hybrid ttm. Borbonius went thru a hp bath and 3 days in a clean tank. Setup 2nd tank for transfer. Salinity was brought down from 1.026 to 1.023 . The moment I took it and put it in new water its gills bulge and started turning upside down. Within secs it was dead. What may have cause this?

IMG_3822.jpeg
With mouth and gills open as in pic, there is a sure sign of low oxygen whether from acclimation or some type of shock but it is a sign of high respirations or gasping

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would you lower the salinity? Also, did you refer to the chart of successful H2O2 bathes? Some fish are not compatible. I just did Hybrid TTM for the first time and while it was a pain in the butt to change at 71 hours, I got it done without complications in 7g of water in 10g tanks. I'll only do Wrasse in TTM. The rest will get copper. I'd also suggest waiting until day 3 to do the first bath unless there is a need to do it. If that's the case you shouldn't have bought the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3822.jpeg

Sorry to see. The open gills are a sign of respiratory collapse, usually caused by low oxygen levels, but maybe also acute stress.

However, even if you put a fish into new water with zero oxygen, it would not die "in seconds". Could the fish have been struck by the net during the transfer?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back