Hydor 3G Failure - Concerns over Replacement

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Hydor 3G on my 75g FOWLR tank has been failing to stick to the glass and I discovered at least partially why. The magnet in the suction cup the sits inside the tank is cracked and rusting. Needless to say I pulled it from the tank. I was going to order a Hydor Evolution 1150 to replace it. I already have of them on the tank which has been working fine since the tank has been up. I found the 3G magnet/suction cup system to be iffy at best in terms of holding the pump in place so I was happy to get the regular version.

When I was going to order I saw a bunch of 1 star reviews relating to them leaking voltage into the water and killing fish. Google searching yielded a lot of results and horror stories. I've owned 5 Hydor pumps through the years and never had an issue but I don't love the idea of risking my fishes safety (and mine!). I could get a Tunze instead, but that will cause issues with plug space since I was running the Hydors through their wave controller. My understanding is that system will damage a DC pump.

I considered a CurrentUSA pump since I will soon have an Orbit Marine on that tank with the Loop controller, but the reviews for the CurrentUSA pumps were not good in terms of reliability and longevity.

I really don't know what to do now, am I paying too much attention to negative reviews? I understand that the people most likely to bother reviewing a product are those who are unhappy. Any experience or thoughts?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest looking at Rossmont. In case you don't know Rossmont was founded by former Hydor engineers and many of the original Koralia issues were things they knew about with the Koralia design but that accountants didn't want to fix. The Rossmont Movers are what the Koralias always should have been now that the engineers can make the pumps they way they want to. I have been extremely happy with my movers.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back