Hydor Seltz D Pumps

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone else see these new pumps? They are AC controllable. Looks like they may be a good option for a return. What would the pros/cons be compared to a DC controllable pump? Marine Depot has them. The price looks great.

Dave

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 is our resident electrician, so he'll probably know this better than I would. But DC pumps are actually still AC when it comes down to the current that the actual pump receives. My understanding is that the pump's controller takes the DC input current and creates an AC waveform with the required amplitude and length to produce the pump speed desired. Adjustable AC pumps presumably do the same. The only difference is instead of transforming the DC current to AC before making the required AC waveform, they just transform the 110/120VAC to the required AC waveform.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed info. At almost half the price of a Various 8 rated at 2,700gph, the Seltz D rated at 2,400gph looks like a great pump. I think I will try one for my new build.

I have read that some people have issues with DC pumps on their returns because the output varies somewhat...making it difficult to keep a constant level in their overflow. I wonder if this controllable AC pump will be more consistent.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some people have issues with DC pumps on their returns because the output varies somewhat...making it difficult to keep a constant level in their overflow. I wonder if this controllable AC pump will be more consistent.

Personally, I have not heard of this. If you set your DC pump for a constant speed, it should always provide a steady flow rate, just as an AC pump rated for that flow would. I would suspect there's something wrong with their pump, or that there's something wrong with the way they've designed their overflows.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I found online is that the flow drops off quite a bit at even 5’ of Head compared to a various 8 pump.

e8962a2b6d662df4c0ea715806e6dc2f.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 is our resident electrician, so he'll probably know this better than I would. But DC pumps are actually still AC when it comes down to the current that the actual pump receives. My understanding is that the pump's controller takes the DC input current and creates an AC waveform with the required amplitude and length to produce the pump speed desired. Adjustable AC pumps presumably do the same. The only difference is instead of transforming the DC current to AC before making the required AC waveform, they just transform the 110/120VAC to the required AC waveform.
That is an excellent explanation.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they call them controllable AC. I think they may do it because some are designed to operate at near 120V so you can plug them into a regular outlet and not use a controller.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They apparently don’t use a power supply.
Perhaps one less thing to break down and slightly more efficient as it doesn’t have to set down voltage.

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm considering for a new build. Hard to find much detailed info on these. Can you tell me if it has a memory feature? (goes back to last setting in case of a power outage) I'm in the country so power goes out frequently here...

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm considering for a new build. Hard to find much detailed info on these. Can you tell me if it has a memory feature? (goes back to last setting in case of a power outage) I'm in the country so power goes out frequently here...
Cant remember but good question. Will have to look at the manuals and report back

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the 1800. Nice pump but a bit loud. Now, I don't know if it's truly loud or it's actually quiet compared to other pumps. I've never ran another pump so I don't have anything to compare it to but I can hear it through my cabinet if that means anything. I'd prefer something a bit quieter if it exist. However, for the money it is a good pump.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can hear it then it’s load. Lol
There are pumps out there that you have to put your hand on it to see if it’s working.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can hear it then it’s load. Lol
There are pumps out there that you have to put your hand on it to see if it’s working.
Should've paid extra for a higher end pump then. Which ones in particular run silent? I was initially looking at the Varios-6 but the Hydor was about $130 cheaper. All the reviews out there said it was "dead silent" and a really good pump. Hydor describes it as "virtually silent," I guess virtually is a relative term.

Last edited:

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. I don’t have one but the Jebao DCP are supposed to be near silent.
Varios and Vectras are near silent as well.
That being said some reviews on Sicce SDC say they are loud.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can these things be hard plumbed ? (standard size fittings?) or are you relegated to using flexible tubing with their barbed hose connectors??

Kind of not sure I should have bought it because the manual doesn't say anything about fitting sizes but it does talk about barbed connectors, which I don't want to use

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back