Hydor Smart Level Auto Top Off System with Pico Pump

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco has 25% off when you order online and pick up in store.
My local store has Hydor Smart Level Auto Top Off System with Pico Pump, 70 GPH in stock for about $97 after discount and 10 dollars for a 10 gallon aquarium.
I am thinking 107 dollars for an ATO is a pretty good deal for my new 75 gallon tank I am building.
Has anyone used the Hydro before?
Anything else I would need?
Do I need some sort of lid for the 10 gallon tank?
Thank you!

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this ato. It recommends using a very slow pump, like an aqualifter. The nature of the sensor relies on temperature, such that if it's exposed to air it will turn on and pump water until the sensor is submerged. It does not shut off instantly like a float valve when it gets to your desired level.

I'd say it takes 10 seconds for the relay to activate and shut off. So, if you don't use a slow pump, it'll continue filling past the sensor while it acclimates to temperature, and it will over fill. Then the overfill alarm will activate and beep.

I don't use an aqualifter, but the hose from my reservoir has a couple kinks that restricts flow to a slow trickle.

That being said, after resolving that flow issue, I've had no trouble with it.

As for the 10 gallon tank you want to use as a reservoir, I'd put a lid on it. One, to keep out contaminants, and two to eliminate evaporation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back