Hydrid Tank Transfer Method Question

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the hybrid TTM, why don’t people use live rock? Since the H2O2 is doused outside of the tank can we not add a free pieces of live rock to help control ammonia?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the hybrid TTM, why don’t people use live rock? Since the H2O2 is doused outside of the tank can we not add a free pieces of live rock to help control ammonia?
Live rock is not used in the TTM because you are changing water every 72hrs. Also, with TTM the idea is to outrun the parasite before it can reattach to the fish. The ICH parasites drop off the fish and then would infect your live rock. Everything is to be cleaned and completely dry for 24hrs between transfers. Getting live rock clean and dry between transfers would be next to impossible without running the risk of failing the TTM. Plus the live rock then wouldnt be much use for a long time.

If youre worried about ammonia, feed light and use a little prime but ive never had a problem with ammonia and i ve done alot of TTM.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Don't reuse anything that hasn't been completely dry for 24 hours.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So should I also not use the same sponge filter and air line tubing across the two tanks?
Correct, two independent tanks and equipment that is dried out before re-using. With a three day cycle (36hrs if doing it for Velvet too), you shouldn’t really get into trouble with ammonia unless you have a heavy bioload for the space. Prime can be used if necessary.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back