Hydrogen Peroxide doseing for Dinophlagellates.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was battling mine I did not do water changes, but what I did do was take a return pump, a filter sock, a brute trash can, and my siphon hose and siphon the crap into the sock/brute and just pump the clean water back to the display. I also attached a tooth brush to the end of the hose that was sucking the crap out so I could scrub the dirty rocks to bet some of the extra stuff out. I also raised my nitrates and phosphates as both were at "0". Right now I try to keep my nitrates at 10 and my phosphates are at 2-2.5. I still have some nasties in there but everyday it is getting better and better. I was dosing H2O2 for a while but I was doing .5 ml per gallon. I have over 400 gallons of water tho and the wife already is asking why I need Peroxide when I tell her to pick it up from the store!

Hope this helps!

sohal tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran into dinos all over my rocks in a 160 gallon where my nitrates slid to zero from water changes
and my PO4 was at .92 and went down to .045...
1) do I begin dosing hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons and if so for how long how many days? once daily? twice?
2) once I get the nitrate to 10 and the Po4 to .10 should I then begin adding bacteria?
3) should I tweek my skimmer best it can work to remove dead matter from column>? (keeping eye on nutrients daily not to go too low again that is...))

please give me your best input thanks so kindly...hope this is not a hi jack of the post not my intention sorry...thanks.

sohal tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 160gal reef is about 4-5 months...
nitrates went to zero... PO4 was only .045
Dinos have set in on the rocks major very little on sand...the kind with striny with bubbles brown stuff ugly
To combat:
1) do i darken tank for 3 days and wont that hurt the corals?
2) do i start dosing Hydrogen Peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons? Daily? for how many Days? Once a day / twice a day?
3) once I get my nitrates and phosphates to levels of 10 nitrate and .10 phosphate should I then start with bacteria such DINO-X from Fauna Marin?

Your best input would help and would be appreciated..>I have 33 years in reefing and NEVER EVER have had this problem...something learned new all the time in this hobby..its a challenge baby! thanks people for your help! Tim

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran into dinos all over my rocks in a 160 gallon where my nitrates slid to zero from water changes
and my PO4 was at .92 and went down to .045...
1) do I begin dosing hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons and if so for how long how many days? once daily? twice?
2) once I get the nitrate to 10 and the Po4 to .10 should I then begin adding bacteria?
3) should I tweek my skimmer best it can work to remove dead matter from column>? (keeping eye on nutrients daily not to go too low again that is...))

please give me your best input thanks so kindly...hope this is not a hi jack of the post not my intention sorry...thanks.

Your skimmer's thoughts are a good idea. Stop all water changes, carbon dosing, and trace element dosing.

Get your hands on some synthetic forms of phosphate and nitrate.

Once stabled out you could try dosing hydrogen peroxide.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back