Hydrogen peroxide overdose-HELP

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no way is your biolfilter harmed is the bet, you fed oxygen to aerobes who like oxygen. We have seneye ammonia meter posts that show nitrification *increasing* in ability for the few hours span vs decreasing due to bacteria harm. Direct irritation to corals is possible, and so is a degree of input that could kill a true biofilter, but nobody can show a link for that happening via digital ammonia measure *in a reef tank* here because it’s that rare.

the context of ‘reef tank’ matters. We pump those with months/years of organics that offset too much peroxide added and they have established biofilm protections for the bacteria. Up cycling a set of filters or running peroxide max tests in plastic quick tanks isn’t the same setting and the findings aren’t the same apples to oranges

buried in these pages is the one or two true overdoses I’ve seen, somewhere in the middle section/haven’t seen in fifteen years but you can discern ratios from his tank to yours to gain prediction on wipeout harm

if your stuff isn’t peeled off the skeleton right now, and if fish are alive, I vote 99.9999% chance no harm happened / window passed.

Last edited:

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've only used sodium thiosulfate to neutralize oxidants. Seachem Prime is sodium dithionite. The chemistry of this in water is too complicated for me to follow this early in the morning, but it seems to become converted to sodium thiosulfate when added to water.

The trouble is, you need to get the dose correct. Using a calculator I have, it seems that if you added 300 ml of 3% peroxide, the dose in your tank is about 50 ppm peroxide. I can't tell you how much Prime to add though.

Do you happen to have a pool or a hot tub? You might be able to use the DPD chlorine test from that to determine the amount of oxidants in the water. Just add a double dose of Prime, let it mix, then test again.

Here is a link to my article on peroxide:

Jay
Thanks for your response.

I’ll go to the pool store and grab a kit.

I added a double dose of prime at 8 hours after the initial h2o2 dose.

Do you think I’ve nuked a huge part of the bacterial population? I’m afraid I’m going to have to basically reset the entire tank lol

I’m currently doing a 50 gallon water change through a dual head stenner, which exchanges about 2 gallons of saltwater an hour.

I’m not even sure if a water change will bring down the h2o2 levels.

Thanks again

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your tank

if it doesn’t look like a crashed reef it’s not going to be. In the sole supplied example of a reef tank OD his looked like Armageddon in two hours. Pics rule the outcome.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response.

I’ll go to the pool store and grab a kit.

I added a double dose of prime at 8 hours after the initial h2o2 dose.

Do you think I’ve nuked a huge part of the bacterial population? I’m afraid I’m going to have to basically reset the entire tank lol

I’m currently doing a 50 gallon water change through a dual head stenner, which exchanges about 2 gallons of saltwater an hour.

I’m not even sure if a water change will bring down the h2o2 levels.

Thanks again

Yes - water changes will reduce peroxide to the percent they were done - so a 50 gallon change on a 100 gallon tank will reduce the peroxide by 50%.

Do you have snails and shrimp in the tank? How are they doing?

Jay

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In no way is your biolfilter harmed is the bet, you fed oxygen to aerobes who like oxygen. We have seneye ammonia meter posts that show nitrification *increasing* in ability for the few hours span vs decreasing due to bacteria harm. Direct irritation to corals is possible, and so is a degree of input that could kill a true biofilter, but nobody can show a link for that happening via digital ammonia measure *in a reef tank* here because it’s that rare.

buried in these pages is the one or two true overdoses I’ve seen, somewhere in the middle section/haven’t seen in ten years but you can discern ratios from his tank to yours to gain prediction on wipeout harm

if your stuff isn’t peeled off the skeleton right now, and if fish are alive, I vote 99.9999% chance no harm happened / window passed.
Thanks for your insight!

This brings great relief.

I spent the entire night reading all your guys’ posts from the past lol.

Should I still continue the water change?

I figured a huge water change would be like a reset button. Just trying to salvage whatever I can.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Post a pic of your tank

if it doesn’t look like a crashed reef it’s not going to be. In the sole supplied example of a reef tank OD his looked like Armageddon in two hours. Pics rule the outcome.
True! lol

I will post once I get home from work

Prior to accidentally dumping the h2o2 in, I brushed the entire tank of green hair algae. So there was a ton of gha particles floating in the tank.

As soon as I dumped the h2o2, massive amounts micro bubbles came from the peroxide reacting with the green hair algae particles lol.

Thank you again!

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes - water changes will reduce peroxide to the percent they were done - so a 50 gallon change on a 100 gallon tank will reduce the peroxide by 50%.

Do you have snails and shrimp in the tank? How are they doing?

Jay
Thanks Jay,

I will continue the water change.

Oddly, My snails are eating the left over gha on the rocks. I assumed they would die from what the posts you made in the past.

They wouldnt touch the gha when it was longer.

Fish seem to be unaffected, which coincides with experiences from other reefers who also over dosed h2o2

Thank you again

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That begins some chemical souping to add the the occasion / each event has its own variables for sure. Irritating + lysed plant cells floating around adds to wastewater loading but I still vote it’ll be ok just messy. The water change work was in due time I’ll bet. This is why we do rip cleans vs in tank cleaning, it’s ironically safer to take down a tank, clean it, then skip cycle reassemble it to do big algae cleanups. Any type of sand disturbance from a eutrophic tank (tbd by pics coming) is a real risk but I bet it’s ok here

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That begins some chemical souping to add the the occasion / each event has its own variables for sure. Irritating + lysed plant cells floating around adds to wastewater loading but I still vote it’ll be ok just messy. The water change work was in due time I’ll bet. This is why we do rip cleans vs in tank cleaning, it’s ironically safer to take down a tank, clean it, then skip cycle reassemble it to do big algae cleanups. Any type of sand disturbance from a eutrophic tank (tbd by pics coming) is a real risk but I bet it’s ok here
You’re absolutely right in regards to the water change.

Despite my phosphates and nitrates being “zero” I still had gha issues. I even had to dose phosphates and nitrates a few weeks ago.

Not to mention, the tank was fully saturated with fluconazole for about a week.

So yea, a big water change had to happen anyway.

Thanks again, I will post photos as soon as I am home. 4 pm EST probably. I’m currently in the PST zone trying to wake up lol .

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got home and saw that the auto water change changed out 45 gallons. Only took it 15 hours lol…

The tank doesn’t smell like the ocean anymore. It smells different, I can’t put an analogy to it.

All my fish are alive still. 3 green chromis, 1 cardinal, 1 anthia, 1 six line, 2 tangs, 1 lawn mower blenny

My tuxedo urchin shed all its spines and probably is about to die.

Both my setosas bleached. Small monti is doing ok I guess. 90 % of my zoas are ticked off. One colony is barely opening up.

Branching GSP (my water quality indicator) is completely closed.

acans are doing ok I guess.

What’s surprising is that my dragon soul colonies are recovering decently. Opening up slowly as the lights turned on.

I added a bag chemi pure blue. Which is phosphate and carbon I think. It saw gac and white phosphate remover in it.

I added more 4 more cap fulls of prime.

I’m also mixing up another 50 gallons of new salt water in case things turn even worse

I’ve attached photos

Don’t mind the two tangs. They will be rehomed after I clear up this algae issue.

Thanks

IMG_7173.jpeg IMG_7174.jpeg IMG_7175.jpeg IMG_7176.jpeg IMG_7178.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and saw that the auto water change changed out 45 gallons. Only took it 15 hours lol…

The tank doesn’t smell like the ocean anymore. It smells different, I can’t put an analogy to it.

All my fish are alive still. 3 green chromis, 1 cardinal, 1 anthia, 1 six line, 2 tangs, 1 lawn mower blenny

My tuxedo urchin shed all its spines and probably is about to die.

Both my setosas bleached. Small monti is doing ok I guess. 90 % of my zoas are ticked off. One colony is barely opening up.

Branching GSP (my water quality indicator) is completely closed.

acans are doing ok I guess.

What’s surprising is that my dragon soul colonies are recovering decently. Opening up slowly as the lights turned on.

I added a bag chemi pure blue. Which is phosphate and carbon I think. It saw gac and white phosphate remover in it.

I added more 4 more cap fulls of prime.

I’m also mixing up another 50 gallons of new salt water in case things turn even worse

I’ve attached photos

Don’t mind the two tangs. They will be rehomed after I clear up this algae issue.

Thanks

IMG_7173.jpeg IMG_7174.jpeg IMG_7175.jpeg IMG_7176.jpeg IMG_7178.jpeg
Since the urchin dropped spines, you should remove it as it will likely die and you don’t want that to foul the water.
Jay

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since the urchin dropped spines, you should remove it as it will likely die and you don’t want that to foul the water.
Jay

Thanks Jay

I discarded the poor urchin as soon as I got home.

The snails and crabs seem to be ok.

I'm doing another 50 gallon water change over another 15 hours just to be sure.

Some of the zoas are starting to open slightly. But they are still ticked off.

What is your opinion on the damage the h2o2 did on to the bacteria?

I hope I dont have to start all over :(

Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay

I discarded the poor urchin as soon as I got home.

The snails and crabs seem to be ok.

I'm doing another 50 gallon water change over another 15 hours just to be sure.

Some of the zoas are starting to open slightly. But they are still ticked off.

What is your opinion on the damage the h2o2 did on to the bacteria?

I hope I dont have to start all over :(

Thanks again

Sorry, I can't forecast the level of damage the bacteria population has had. Good idea to monitor the ammonia for the next week or so though.

Jay

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry, I can't forecast the level of damage the bacteria population has had. Good idea to monitor the ammonia for the next week or so though.

Jay
Thanks Jay

I can’t believe I took out the API test kit

Disclaimer, I always get 0.5 to 1 ppm ammonia on all my previous established tanks

Today’s test showed the same result

I’d be worried if it showed 8 PPM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 58

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are today’s parameters

Salinity 1.026
pH 8.1- my kalk bucket was empty.

1701467709074.png

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.026

1701467709074.png
Ahhh... I wondered who purchased my

Salinity 1.026

Ahh I wondered who purchased my 'wig' pun intended along with your intentions

1701467709074.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay

I can’t believe I took out the API test kit

Disclaimer, I always get 0.5 to 1 ppm ammonia on all my previous established tanks

Today’s test showed the same result

I’d be worried if it showed 8 PPM.

Shouldn't that test be more yellowish if ammonia is zero?

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back