Hydrogen peroxide with SPS?

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Dinos and I’ve tried everything. They’ve been I’m my tank for almost a year and I’ve tried everything. The ONLY thing that I’ve had TEMPORARY success with is hydrogen peroxide. I have SPS, LPS, and soft corals. My plan is to get most all of the Dinos gone then keep good nutrients and dose stuff like microbacter 7 and dr Tim waste way to keep it from coming back. I’m desperate, could I do a 3-4 day black out while hydrogen peroxide dosing? Will it affect any thing?

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what I have “put on the table” is a bit extreme but I had them for a long time. They are at the worst, growing on the sand, rocks, coral, glass, snails, everything!

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Dinos and I’ve tried everything. They’ve been I’m my tank for almost a year and I’ve tried everything. The ONLY thing that I’ve had TEMPORARY success with is hydrogen peroxide. I have SPS, LPS, and soft corals. My plan is to get most all of the Dinos gone then keep good nutrients and dose stuff like microbacter 7 and dr Tim waste way to keep it from coming back. I’m desperate, could I do a 3-4 day black out while hydrogen peroxide dosing? Will it affect any thing?
I wouldn't do the blackout for longer than 2-3 days, but I've dosed 3% H2O2 in amounts as high as 3mL/gal with no negative results. Recently I got an oxydator to do this automatically, and it seems like the water clarity and coral growth has improved significantly. good luck.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do the blackout for longer thanj2-3 days, but I've dosed 3% H2O2 in amounts as high as 3mL/gal with no negative results. Recently I got an oxydator to do this automatically, and it seems like the water clarity and coral growth has improved significantly. good luck.
Thanks. How long did you dose h2o2? I’m just trying to make this work without hurting my coral since I’ve already lost half mine to the Dinos grow on them.

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How long did you dose h2o2? I’m just trying to make this work without hurting my coral since I’ve already lost half mine to the Dinos grow on them.
I've been doing it ever since to be honest, I kind of like the benefits of H2O2 dosing. I started off with doing 3% H2O2 at 1mL/5gal. I think I misspoke above, the highest concentration I've done in a FOWLR (and some invasive zoas) was 3mL/gal, in a mixed reef, 1mL/gal

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of dinos do you have? under mircoscope

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is possible that dinos killed some corals, it isn't all that probable. More likely, the weakened state of your biome killed the coral and created the ideal dino environment.

You can try H2O2. It might help and it might not. If you want to increase your understanding of dinos and potential treatment methods, you can read this:

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old thread, I realize but hoping someone may see this and still be able to help…just started H2O2 dosing today along with a 72 hour blackout (and raising phosphates and nitrates up from zero). I’ve seen posts that H2O2 will lessen nitrifying bacteria populations and that they will need to be built back up/reinforced. Any insights/advice about this and if additions are advised any specific suggestions on what to add assuming, God willing, I can win this battle. Thanks in advance for any input

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old thread, I realize but hoping someone may see this and still be able to help…just started H2O2 dosing today along with a 72 hour blackout (and raising phosphates and nitrates up from zero). I’ve seen posts that H2O2 will lessen nitrifying bacteria populations and that they will need to be built back up/reinforced. Any insights/advice about this and if additions are advised any specific suggestions on what to add assuming, God willing, I can win this battle. Thanks in advance for any input
make sure you know the strength (3% - 30) and if you get the food grade or horticultural grade stuff wear gloves

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to solve for dinoflagellates or something else?

frankny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do the blackout for longer than 2-3 days, but I've dosed 3% H2O2 in amounts as high as 3mL/gal with no negative results. Recently I got an oxydator to do this automatically, and it seems like the water clarity and coral growth has improved significantly. good luck.
high as 3mL/gal? it sounds way higher than the common instruction of use h2o2. i would start low and raise little every week, let system used to its changes.

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I hope it’s not too late to jump in on this conversation but I’d like to follow up on the question of dosing rates. Is the rate, eg 1ml/10g, a daily or weekly rate in your experience? Thanks, Simon

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back