Hydrogen Sulfide test kit?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Every time there's a disturbance in the sandbed, all of my corals go into shock, and I usually wind up losing multiple colonies. My current theory is that there are H2S pockets being disturbed and released into the water, but would like to be certain of this before I begin any course of action. Would one of these hydrogen sulfide test kits be effective in a reef tank, or are there other, more precise ones that any of you have come across that you'd like to share?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
Every time there's a disturbance in the sandbed, all of my corals go into shock, and I usually wind up losing multiple colonies. My current theory is that there are H2S pockets being disturbed and released into the water, but would like to be certain of this before I begin any course of action. Would one of these hydrogen sulfide test kits be effective in a reef tank, or are there other, more precise ones that any of you have come across that you'd like to share?

You are probably correct. As to a test - I would try to stop keeping an anaerobic sand bed - which would cause this. As to testing - it is available - and expensive and not necessary

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are probably correct. As to a test - I would try to stop keeping an anaerobic sand bed - which would cause this. As to testing - it is available - and expensive and not necessary
PS - if you're losing colonies with each water change - I would reconsider your sandbed

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - if you're losing colonies with each water change - I would reconsider your sandbed
Typically not with each water change, but I lose corals whenever a rock gets moved, or too much sand gets kicked up. Usually, its only the regions that are under or close to rocks that, when disturbed, cause problems.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typically not with each water change, but I lose corals whenever a rock gets moved, or too much sand gets kicked up. Usually, its only the regions that are under or close to rocks that, when disturbed, cause problems.
In all likelihood it could (not sure) relate to H2S. I vacuumed my deep sand weekly - which avoided this issue

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank water definitely has a strange smell to it after the sand gets kicked up. Not sure if I’d describe it as a “rotten egg” smell that many describe it as, but the water goes from its usual smell to a pungent odor (almost like that which you’d smell at a beach)

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank water definitely has a strange smell to it after the sand gets kicked up. Not sure if I’d describe it as a “rotten egg” smell that many describe it as, but the water goes from its usual smell to a pungent odor (almost like that which you’d smell at a beach)

So keeping sandbed less than 3” deep is not an option? Sorry if you replied in your other thread and I missed it. If you really need a deep sand bed, courser mesh sand will help. Well that and not sure why you’re disturbing it so often.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So keeping sandbed less than 3” deep is not an option? Sorry if you replied in your other thread and I missed it. If you really need a deep sand bed, courser mesh sand will help. Well that and not sure why you’re disturbing it so often.
No, I don’t need a deep sand bed, though was unaware of the problems associated with them when I started the reef tank. Chances are that I will wind up redoing the sand bed to be more shallow. Also, disturbing it is never intended, though it sometimes happens during the water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back