Hydroid/Sponge? On coral

draxus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something is choking out my Zoa (first pic). My winter pipe organ has some cylinders as well. I was looking around all of my other corals, not sure if it’s on the Duncan or the Xenia that’s just “roots”

I only see it in coral
Plugs (which were dipped in coral rx when I got them). So if the answer is remove affected coral that is an option
IMG_7825.jpeg
IMG_7827.jpeg
IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7826.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sponges.
This one is a pineapple sponge, so you can rest assured that it's harmless.
These corals don't seem to be bothered by the sponges, so most likely not a problem here (although the coral in the first pic quoted above seems to have some algae growth on it, so something is bothering that one, it's just not the sponge).
This one concerns me - if the coral was in good health in your tank for a while, then suddenly went downhill with the appearance of the sponge, that would be a good indication to remove the sponge. If you only had the coral for a little while before this happened, then it's possible the sponge is still harmless - but either way, it looks like it may well turn invasive.

So, this one may be best to remove just to be safe - the others are most likely harmless and shouldn't give you any trouble.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back