Hydroids - How do I eliminate- They have taken over my tank

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the fenbendazole for clove polyps and casualties were minimal. Some hermits survived the treatment, some did not. Yes, all corals such as cloves, xenia , etc. will die or be severely damaged but it was worth it to me at the time. Fish were all fine, even had a shrimp live thru it that I could not catch. Good luck, it's nice to get your tank back.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what size tank you have, but I had a kleini butterfly that happily ate aiptasia in my tank and I tried it in a friend's tank suffering from a similar issue as yours and it completely decimated the colonial hydroids.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had colonial hydroids once. The solution that worked for me was
start over.
That was the solution that worked for me.

The only thing I did not try was the Fenbendazole. I am not a big fan of putting chemicals like that in my tank.

I used calk paste, superglue, epoxy, hammer and chisel to knock away the rock that they were on. I tried Hydrogen peroxide lime juice just about everything. Eventually I even bought a blowtorch and after cutting and scraping and removing whatever I could of the hydroids I blowtorched the rock where the hydroids were. They still came back. Only solution that worked for me was a new tank. Not sure what your situation is but I would start a small temporary tank get whatever livestock you can from the tank that has no chance of having hydroids on them and place them in the temporary tank. Shut down your main display. Remove everything hydroids could, live on rock, Then start over with dry rock. Alternatively, try to find some rock locally maybe somebody is trying to get out of the hobby so you can buy it for cheap and you can inspect the rock to make sure there is nothing on it that you don't want.
The hydroids have done there damage so there is no rush.
Just my two cents, I would put my time energy money and effort into starting over.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done this?
I was surprised by the results in the clove polyp thread. There are some casualties.

I have... many years ago, in a dwarf seahorse tank. Had a leather coral, and a bit of colt coral, but very little else. As I originally posted, I'd think long and hard before I'd dump Panacure into a reef.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have... many years ago, in a dwarf seahorse tank. Had a leather coral, and a bit of colt coral, but very little else. As I originally posted, I'd think long and hard before I'd dump Panacure into a reef.
Absolutely.

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a copper band butterfly, most of the time they will pick at any small feather dusters or anemones so I would imagine hydroids too. Just feed blood worms or tubifex for a while to get him eating and adjusted to captivity, but he will probably eat the hydroids over most fish foods. Maybe matted file fish from ORA would work too.

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had myrionemas, i tried for 4 years without any success.
I started a Version 2.0

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted filefish and certain butterflies would likely make short work of them but they would be limited as a solution depending on what other cniderians are in the tank. They may prefer to eat others first.

Hydroids can spread aggressively and can be hard to stop. Is it just that one rock that has them or is the whole tank like that, because those are very dense.....

If they're that pervasive throughout the tank, this might be a rare instance where pulling the rock and dipping might be your best course of action....

OP
OP
Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much throughout the tank. Or at least patches on most of the rocks would be a better description. They are very dense patches though. Dipping in what?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be something pretty harsh like peroxide. It will kill most of what's on the rock.

If I remember correctly, there is one species of nudis that will eat them, too. I don't remember which species, though. Might be worth looking into it though before you start nuking rocks or using fish.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted filefish and certain butterflies would likely make short work of them but they would be limited as a solution depending on what other cniderians are in the tank. They may prefer to eat others first.

Hydroids can spread aggressively and can be hard to stop. Is it just that one rock that has them or is the whole tank like that, because those are very dense.....

try the filefish or butterflies.
Or Start over.
They are horrible.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell what this is do you guys think these are hydroids?

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydroids?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.

Hello,

I tried to mention you saltyfilmfolks but your name would not come up oddly. Sadly I have no input on this and actually worse never heard of these. Do you have any pics etc. I have a small aptasia break out but know aptasiax is like fertilizer to them so went for a file fish to help. Since I have been out a while, (tank is still recovering), it would be nice to know more about these.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these patches in your tank growing fast and killing corals? Before trying panacure or blowtorches or starting fresh entirely id see if just living with them is an option even if that involves cutting them back every now and then, not to eliminate them, but to keep them in check.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some videos to upload on Facebook, I also talk to my LFS, spaghetti worms as what everybody thanks, thank God

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back