0   0   0
IMG_9577.JPG

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. The brown tubes will stay until you pull them off (and they'll be on there tightly) long after the hydroid polyps are dead.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use chemicals for certain types and I'll shout out to the #reefsquad for that info. I've had many types, but I've never done anything except manually remove them. Mostly I just watch and see what they'll do.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a few that are on a rock but i have chalices and acanas glued on it and would be a pain to pull out

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding your tank? Anything with small particulates or perhaps phyto that encourages zooplankton growth?

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang lol the i feed 2 brands of mysis, lps pellets, and reef roids lol i occasionally see them catch mysis buy the hermits eat them

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, I think we at least we know why their numbers are going up.

Detritus can also encourage them, as it's food for their food. :)

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah so far they dont bother a thing im having more of and issue with stupid blue clove polyps can wait to upgrade to get rid of these dang pests

OP
OP
K

KendraB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is not off to a good start, thanks to doing no research & getting some awful advice from a LFS rep. We started our 32 gal biocube with 2 clowns, a cardinal, 5 snails and 5 hermits, 20 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live rock. We are now the proud owners of hair algae, aiptasia & colonial hydroids.

OP
OP
K

KendraB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see now that you said these may be dead. I obsessively look at my rocks to make sure nothing is growing or changing, and I've never noticed it before. It is pretty hidden, so it's possible that I've never spotted it. I'm hoping dead means they can't spread though..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is not off to a good start, thanks to doing no research & getting some awful advice from a LFS rep. We started our 32 gal biocube with 2 clowns, a cardinal, 5 snails and 5 hermits, 20 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live rock. We are now the proud owners of hair algae, aiptasia & colonial hydroids.
Those hydroids could be chipped off I think, they don't look deep. then a dab of putty and glue. Ive won back worse rocks than yours to worse hydroids. Of late, when I can get the rock out, I use a flat screwdriver or chisel and lightly scrape the appy off the rock. The rock is soft. with gloves a carpet knife works. Normal stuff, nobody warns us about when we start.

Hair algae is pretty easy too in a tank that small. Unless its bryopsis. But Im wining that too a bit.

OP
OP
K

KendraB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those hydroids could be chipped off I think, they don't look deep. then a dab of putty and glue. Ive won back worse rocks than yours to worse hydroids. Of late, when I can get the rock out, I use a flat screwdriver or chisel and lightly scrape the appy off the rock. The rock is soft. with gloves a carpet knife works. Normal stuff, nobody warns us about when we start.

Hair algae is pretty easy too in a tank that small. Unless its bryopsis. But Im wining that too a bit.

Of course its on a huge piece of rock on the bottom. We would have to completely dismantle our entire tank to get it out. [emoji24] If it's dead, is there any point in removing it? It's hidden so it's not an eyesore issue.

Thank y'all all for your help so far [emoji5]

OP
OP
K

KendraB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just looked up bryopsis, and that's definitely not it. Just plain old hair algae. We took the rock it was the worst on and scrubbed it, rinsed it, and stuck it back in. We missed a couple spots, but it's much better than before.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back