Hydros crashed

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cause is the Hydros.

My phone, TV, PC, IPad, GHL Profilux etc all reconnected when the internet came back up. I now have 2 Hydros Wi-Fi power strips as Coralvue sent me one to replace my other one that keeps dropping off line (the new one seems better but isn’t perfect).

I’m not going through the hoops of more tickets and more ‘it must be my network’ arguments. It is not reliable in my environment so it is going to be retired early.
I have had the router cause issue with only one item before. The other day none of the wifi strips were communicating even the fish feeder was not communicating. The controllers and most of my cameras were ok. I rebooted the router and everything reconnected without an issue. It is rare for that to happen.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't they come out with a Hydros that is hard wired? I'd never trust life suppoert to a WIFI connection.
Yes, the XP8 is out now. I have one of them on my system. The controller named 42g XP8 3 in the first screenshot is my XP8. The only things not powered in the screenshot is two 50 watt heaters. The cooling fans were on though. The second screenshot is the return pump output. The third screenshot is of the setup of the return pump output. I have 6 outlets currently setup on it. Skimmer, return, two heaters, refugium lighting and cooling fans. My main lighting is controlled via 0-10v outputs so no need for an AC outlet.

13BD8FE0-E8C1-4D15-AC4D-F7B55E65AE4E.png

1DD2EDC1-6781-4A3C-ABB4-1D717A77BD95.png

8A9F38FA-D289-449E-9766-5750DD1CCAEC.png

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had the router cause issue with only one item before. The other day none of the wifi strips were communicating even the fish feeder was not communicating. The controllers and most of my cameras were ok. I rebooted the router and everything reconnected without an issue. It is rare for that to happen.

Interesting, as up to now you have appeared to whole heatedly defend the Hydros reliance on WiFi, but even you’ve had problems with connections.

What if that happened while you were away on holiday?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have someone that comes in to feed the cat. All I have to do is have them check things if needed. This is the first time in a long time I had the wifi strips do this. The only thing they do at the moment is power some of my wife's light houses and globes. I use the others for testing now that I have two controllers with AC outlets that are wired to the buss. I was using them to begin with but did not use them for ATO, AWC or dosing. That is all on drive ports and always has been. I did have the return, heaters, skimmer and cooling fans on them to vegin with and never had an issue, but I do have battery backup for my flow pumps so they would run regardless of the AC power for well over a day. I can have someone go check things for me before they would run out of power.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would alway plan for something to happen and have something in place just in case it does. That is Murphy's law after all. CoralVue did one of their live videos just on this subject here . Also I do not run the current firmware most of the time. I currently have beta firmware on my system. There is some inherent risk in doing this, but it is one of the way I can help out other than replying to questions on the controllers. I do not work for them I am just one of the beta testers.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. Now I just need to figure out a cheaper magnet option. I think reef octopus is missing the boat by not having 3/4" capable magnets in the Octopulse 4. All the big factory tanks are 19mm glass now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back