Hydros crashed

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as much as I like the control 2 I think I may change.
It went out today and when I got home had to unplug and replug it back it.
Everything kept working including the heaters lol
81.9 when I got home
So unless I don't know something there was no way for it to notify me because it crashed.
This happens alot and I was told it's my wifi well its not because all my other wifi stuff worked items not connected to hydros so go figure.
Thanks hydros
This a wifi plug will do just as good actually.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean the red lights were on?

As FYI, when the internet is down, or when hydros is offline, everything continues to work according to how you programmed it, you would be able to see it on the bluetooth mode, but bluetooth mode is read only, but it lets you see that everything is still on.

But I agree the connection to wifi seems very finicky, I get random alerts that hydros is offline, then another alert that its back online.

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was red. Did get notice it was off line while I was at work.
App does not even pull up at that point. Bluetooth useless since I was at work.
All other wifi items worked like my feeder and my lights wifi cam and i was able to see the tank with the cam so i knew the pumps were working only thing was it must have went out early while the heaters were on thus the heaters stayed on. All worked fine after I unplugged it the. Plugged it back it

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what kind of WiFI network your running. I've never had that kind of issue with my Hydros systems. I would suggest to never let one single device control a heater. I use Hydros to maintain temperature but the internal thermostat in the heater keeps it from going too high. I then have a third protection with an Inkbird controller in the unlikely event that both the Hydros and the Heater thermostat gets stuck on.

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have xfininty internet and the wifi is well I really dont know lol. I have had the control 2 since it came out and in the beginning had issues like everyone but when it goes out it's usually for less then an hour and always reconnects.
Yes I should have a backup I do have the heaters set to I think 80 and the control to 78.8 on and 79.5 off and the heaters just slightly higher at 80.
I do have a inkbird and this weekend ill set it up.
Question how do you have yours set up as like did you plug it into the wifi strip or plug it into its own plug ? I would think you have it in the strip so the control can control it ?
Let me know I am going to set it up.
Overall very few issues but was just surprised it didn't reconnect

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have xfininty internet and the wifi is well I really dont know lol. I have had the control 2 since it came out and in the beginning had issues like everyone but when it goes out it's usually for less then an hour and always reconnects.
Yes I should have a backup I do have the heaters set to I think 80 and the control to 78.8 on and 79.5 off and the heaters just slightly higher at 80.
I do have a inkbird and this weekend ill set it up.
Question how do you have yours set up as like did you plug it into the wifi strip or plug it into its own plug ? I would think you have it in the strip so the control can control it ?
Let me know I am going to set it up.
Overall very few issues but was just surprised it didn't reconnect
Many of the aquarium products seem to struggle with WiFi when the 5Ghz and 2.4GHz share the same SSID. If you can go 2.4Ghz only, or make a secondary SSID that is 2.4GHz only that may get fixed.

Personally, I believe that this is unacceptable. I have smart plugs that I bought $30 for a 4 pack that don't have this issue. There is zero reason that, for the cost of these reef products, this should be happening in 2022.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody know if the Hydros server is working at the moment?

My brain has never dropped off for more than a couple of minutes (and that was only once) but it’s been off for the last 2 hours.

Fortunately, due to problems I’ve been having with my power strip, it’s not actually controlling anything at the moment. However, I’m away from home and just concerned that my power might have gone off.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know if the Hydros server is working at the moment?

My brain has never dropped off for more than a couple of minutes (and that was only once) but it’s been off for the last 2 hours.

Fortunately, due to problems I’ve been having with my power strip, it’s not actually controlling anything at the moment. However, I’m away from home and just concerned that my power might have gone off.
Do you have another device you can connect to remotely to check? I have cameras I can check to see if they are working or not. If you cannot get to the other devices it could be a internet or router issue as well as a power issue. I have a UPS on my router and modem so I would still get in to some of the devices with no power. The Hydros is one of them since it has battery backup also. Not sure where you are at but the wind has been very strong where I am in Texas today.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a NAS but I’m not on Wi-Fi at the moment so I can’t check. My Profilux has power monitoring, and can send alerts, but I haven’t set it up. Doh. Guess what I’ll be doing when I get home (not that there would be anything that I could do from here if the power is off).

I believe the wind has been pretty bad near where I live (I think I’ve just seen Typhoons in the forecast for Fort Worth), which is one reason I’m concerned about the power.

2 of my 3 tanks have UPS’s, but they’re only good for a couple of hours. Fingers crossed it’s just a network/router problem.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there were some tornados in the area. There were some damaged houses in Round Rock in the neighborhood our niece lives in. She was lucky it just got some of her trees.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I have just got home and it looks like my problem was very similar to the OP.

It looks like there was a power interruption (I had to reset my clock) but it can’t have been very long as both of my tanks are fine.

However, the Hydros was blinking red. Unplugging it and plugging it back in again has reset it and brought it back online.

So the lesson from this is that if you have a power interruption then the Hydros may not reconnect when the power comes back on. Fortunately, due to the problems I have been having with my power strip, it wasn’t actually controlling anything (I had replaced the power strip with a standard one). So, other than giving me a heart attack whilst I was away from home it didn’t actually cause any harm.

I’m thinking it’s time to retire this from the tank it’s on. I might move it to my pico tank or sell it; I just can’t rely on it any more.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd during the rolling blackouts last year that lasted almost a week I never had one do anything like that. I think the power had to have went off over a 100 times. I had a wifi strip that didn't connect a couple of times in all of that but that was the only issue with the hydros. My Archon's memory stick got corrupted and it crashed. I also had a hub for some of my cameras crash and I never got that going again. I had to get a replacement. I had 4 controller at the time last year. I have 9 now. If you had more than one controller in a collective it would only take one to have the wifi connection to control any wifi devices so I would have to have all 9 of mine do that for me to loose wifi completely. i would still get alerts on any that did not reconnect to wifi though.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The standard response to both of my main problems (with my power strip and now the Hydros) is that I should buy more components to provide redundancy to overcome the design faults.

Whilst that may alleviate my concerns, I prefer to replace it with a product that I can rely on.

At the moment, I am having to use a normal power strip because I can't rely on the Hydros or the Wi-Fi power strip so, with my Hydros not really doing anything now other than monitoring the temperature, I am wondering why I even have it.

I will try the replacement Wi-Fi strip to see if that is any better than my original one but, if not, then I will be shutting it down. People can tell me that their systems work fine but doesn't make mine work any better or increase my confidence in the system, given my own personal experience with it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard response to both of my main problems (with my power strip and now the Hydros) is that I should buy more components to provide redundancy to overcome the design faults.

Whilst that may alleviate my concerns, I prefer to replace it with a product that I can rely on.

At the moment, I am having to use a normal power strip because I can't rely on the Hydros or the Wi-Fi power strip so, with my Hydros not really doing anything now other than monitoring the temperature, I am wondering why I even have it.

I will try the replacement Wi-Fi strip to see if that is any better than my original one but, if not, then I will be shutting it down. People can tell me that their systems work fine but doesn't make mine work any better or increase my confidence in the system, given my own personal experience with it.
If your tank cannot survive without power for hours at a time then you need to rethink how things are setup. Mine has be without power for over 4 hours and that includes the controllers. We had rolling blackouts over a year ago that lasted almost a week. Sometimes it was off 4 hours and on 4 hours and sometime it was on an hour and off a hour or somewhere in between. I had the hydros then. I did not loose a fish or a coral from that. There were a lot of people around me that lost their whole tanks form the power issues. I do not have a backup generator. The only thing that runs during no power is my MP10's and that is at a low speed. According to I have read it should last for around 36 hrs like this. I didn't take a chance and unplugged one of the MP10's from the backup so it would last as long as possible. At least make sure you tank can last several hours without a controller regardless of which one you use. They all have failed. Even pumps can fail. That is one reason I have two MP10's just in case one fails and they have. I have had to replace the wet sides a couple of times and the dry side on each one time now. The tank has bee running for 6 years now. I have even had the return pump fail. Alway plan so the tank will survive on or more failures for several hours at least. I always plan things where it would take two or more items to fail before it becomes an issue. The more backup things you have the less likely they will fail at the same time. I do not work for CoralVue so what I post is just my opinions and has nothing to do with CoraVue.

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the aquarium products seem to struggle with WiFi when the 5Ghz and 2.4GHz share the same SSID. If you can go 2.4Ghz only, or make a secondary SSID that is 2.4GHz only that may get fixed.

Personally, I believe that this is unacceptable. I have smart plugs that I bought $30 for a 4 pack that don't have this issue. There is zero reason that, for the cost of these reef products, this should be happening in 2022.
I agree 100%. I do get drop outs and also have the latest xfinity xfi. I can’t get the extender they recommend to work either I think because of my mesh pods. Works 99% of time but should be100%

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What does my Hydros failure to reconnect have to do with a power failure?

My Hydros was powered. My tank was fine because the Hydros wasn't controlling it.

The problem was that when power was re-applied to the Hydros after the outage, it didn't reconnect. This was a failure of the Hydros and nothing to do with my redundancy.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd during the rolling blackouts last year that lasted almost a week I never had one do anything like that. I think the power had to have went off over a 100 times. I had a wifi strip that didn't connect a couple of times in all of that but that was the only issue with the hydros. My Archon's memory stick got corrupted and it crashed. I also had a hub for some of my cameras crash and I never got that going again. I had to get a replacement. I had 4 controller at the time last year. I have 9 now. If you had more than one controller in a collective it would only take one to have the wifi connection to control any wifi devices so I would have to have all 9 of mine do that for me to loose wifi completely. i would still get alerts on any that did not reconnect to wifi though.
You have NINE different controllers???

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back