Hydros crashed

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have NINE different controllers???
Yes, I have nine Hydros controllers. The controllers are like the modules on the other brand controllers. In the garage I have a X4, 2 X2's and a XS. I also have one I am beta testing there also. That is the 5 in the garage. I have a X3, XS, XP8 and a WEv2 at the tank. Right now the WEv2 is the preferred wifi master. It is a newly released controller and I figured I would test it as a wifi master since the original 2 WE's could not be wifi masters. I don't have any directly driven pumps on it yet. It controls my 2 EcoTech MP10's at the moment. If I get another return I will probablyget one compatible with it that I can drive directly. I have 30 inputs setup and 64 outputs setup. I also have 4 of the wifi strips and a wifi feeder.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have nine Hydros controllers. The controllers are like the modules on the other brand controllers. In the garage I have a X4, 2 X2's and a XS. I also have one I am beta testing there also. That is the 5 in the garage. I have a X3, XS, XP8 and a WEv2 at the tank. Right now the WEv2 is the preferred wifi master. It is a newly released controller and I figured I would test it as a wifi master since the original 2 WE's could not be wifi masters. I don't have any directly driven pumps on it yet. It controls my 2 EcoTech MP10's at the moment. If I get another return I will probablyget one compatible with it that I can drive directly. I have 30 inputs setup and 64 outputs setup. I also have 4 of the wifi strips and a wifi feeder.
Wow! If I get a new controller, I know who I'm hitting up for advice! :)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! If I get a new controller, I know who I'm hitting up for advice! :)
The ones I have experience with are all the Digital Aquatics from the RKE to the Archon and the Hydros controllers. I am replacing my Archon with the Hydros and started at the garage.The only thing the Archon still controls is 4 channels of lighting and the moon lights. Everything else is controlled with Hydros. The Hydros now controls 2 channels of the lighting and the refugium lighting. I have a lot of info on both on my build thread here.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have experience with are all the Digital Aquatics from the RKE to the Archon and the Hydros controllers. I am replacing my Archon with the Hydros and started at the garage.The only thing the Archon still controls is 4 channels of lighting and the moon lights. Everything else is controlled with Hydros. The Hydros now controls 2 channels of the lighting and the refugium lighting. I have a lot of info on both on my build thread here.
I'm going to use my RKs until they're completely shot, lol. I love that controller! Specifically for the "standby" feature and the fact that you can set up different ones for different situations, not just a pre-set 10 minute feed delay.
And, the fact that it's NOT wifi controlled!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to use my RKs until they're completely shot, lol. I love that controller! Specifically for the "standby" feature and the fact that you can set up different ones for different situations, not just a pre-set 10 minute feed delay.
And, the fact that it's NOT wifi controlled!
The mode on the Hydros are very similar to the standby's on the DA units. They can be edited with the exception of the Normal mode. You can add and delete them also with the exception of Normal mode. The Hydros controllers themselves are not wifi controlled they will continue to run as they are setup without wifi. They won't happy and will breath red. Now to control the wifi devices such as power strips, plugs and feeder require wifi. The wifi power strips will remain in whatever condition they are in until communication is restored, This is ok for return pumps, skimmers, lighting and heaters with a backup but for dosing pumps, ATO pumps and auto water change you will want either drive ports or a XP8 to control them. The XP8 is a controller with 8 AC outlets and is connected to the other controllers with a command buss cable. So they will communicate with each other without wifi. If you are local to the Hydros and loose wifi you can connect to the wifi master via bluetooth. It will not let you change any of the setup but it will allow you to set outputs between off, auto or on. So you do still have some control. The only time I have lost wifi is when I power down the router. I loose internet several times a day. That is not an issue unless I am in the middle of changing settings. Basically the Hydros is similar to DA with the exception each module is a controller. You just have to mix and match them to get the inputs and outputs you need. Once in a collective they act like they are one large controller and the inputs and outputs are shared with each other. The big difference is if you loose one controller the others will continue to work the best they can without the missing controller. You do loose any inputs or outputs on the failed controller. On the DA if you loose the head unit then the power bars will go to default and you have no control of anything. Check out my build thread by clicking on the build thread contributor banner on one of my post to see more info on the Archon and the Hydros.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does WEv2 control the mp10s via power strip/outlet or directly?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does WEv2 control the mp10s via power strip/outlet or directly?
You add a EcoTech RF module to the WEv2. I was lucky and had one in the ReefLink I was using with them. The WEv2 acts as a master pump and you pair the pumps you have to it. There are three channels from the master White, Cyan and Orange. I have all three in the same schedules sine both of my pumps are on the same side the white channel is the only one with pumps tied to it right now. I have not had it long, just a couple of weeks.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add a EcoTech RF module to the WEv2. I was lucky and had one in the ReefLink I was using with them. The WEv2 acts as a master pump and you pair the pumps you have to it. There are three channels from the master White, Cyan and Orange. I have all three in the same schedules sine both of my pumps are on the same side the white channel is the only one with pumps tied to it right now. I have not had it long, just a couple of weeks.
Thanks. I was wondering if ecotech pumps would be uncontrollable by Hydros given their acquisition. Glad this will work.

I'd like to go with the Octopulse pumps given price point with direct drive, but the $70 cost for stronger magnets and lack of battery backup with direct drive makes that less attractive.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was wondering if ecotech pumps would be uncontrollable by Hydros given their acquisition. Glad this will work.

I'd like to go with the Octopulse pumps given price point with direct drive, but the $70 cost for stronger magnets and lack of battery backup with direct drive makes that less attractive.
You can get a backup battery for the WE. You have to use the Ice Cap V3 backup battery and these cables https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-icecap-battery-backup-cable-kit.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a backup battery for the WE. You have to use the Ice Cap V3 backup battery and these cables https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-icecap-battery-backup-cable-kit.
Thanks for the answers.

So the battery backs up the entire wave engine based on the schematic. Since the wave engine is being powered by the battery, it won't inherently know the power dropped. Is there a way to sense that power was lost and go to a "power save" mode running just one pump?

I have a lot of questions as I haven't chosen a controller yet.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers.

So the battery backs up the entire wave engine based on the schematic. Since the wave engine is being powered by the battery, it won't inherently know the power dropped. Is there a way to sense that power was lost and go to a "power save" mode running just one pump?

I have a lot of questions as I haven't chosen a controller yet.
There is a way for it to tell the power is out. The normal voltage is 24 volts from the power adapter for the Wave Engine. The backup battery is 12v so it can tell by the voltage drop. The backup battery will power any other Hydros controllers attached by command buss cables to the Wave Engine. You can setup a low power mode for the whole collective so all the controller go to low power mode. The way outputs are setup for the mode will determine whether they will remain on or off. In case of variable speed pumps you can setup a schedule for low power mode and select the speed you want them to run at. In the case of the MP series pumps they would have to have a battery backup also since they are not powered by the Hydros directly. I do beleive the Octopulse pumps are compatible with low power mode and will run at 12v. There are some 24v pumps that will not run on 12v though. Once you have your low power mode setup you select it on the options. In the screenshot below I have mine set to a mode called Low Power.

336D85D4-AF04-4BE6-A47C-C5E294A7B01E.png

Below is a screenshot of a portion of the Low Power Mode setting. All the settings that are off except one are flow schedules for the pumps. The only flow pump schedule that is on for low power is the one called Flow Low Power. So the way that schedule is setup is it will run anytime the mode that is current will allow it to run. In all other modes it is set to off.

11505BA6-E303-493E-B134-D431B2BE3A37.png

Below is the setting I have set in the Flow Low Power schedule. It is set for constant speed at 10%. The only flow pumps I have running are the EcoTech's so that is the only pumps I have listed.

BB4B481A-E74D-49E8-B31F-1F2825D326F2.png

Hopefully that gives you an idea what it can do for low power.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. Now I just need to figure out a cheaper magnet option. I think reef octopus is missing the boat by not having 3/4" capable magnets in the Octopulse 4. All the big factory tanks are 19mm glass now.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has done it again!

My internet connection dropped and the Hydros went offline. When the internet connection came back it did not reconnect, and was flashing red. Unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it reconnects straight away. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has done it again!

My internet connection dropped and the Hydros went offline. When the internet connection came back it did not reconnect, and was flashing red. Unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it reconnects straight away. :rolleyes:
Mine has not done that since my original post. I tested it various times with unplugging the modem and waiting and reconnecting it. The controller seems to always go back on. Of course it will since I am there, it's when I am at work the controller will flash red till I unplug the controller and reset it.
I never did get an answer why and I have not be able to recreate the situation.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has not done that since my original post. I tested it various times with unplugging the modem and waiting and reconnecting it. The controller seems to always go back on. Of course it will since I am there, it's when I am at work the controller will flash red till I unplug the controller and reset it.
I never did get an answer why and I have not be able to recreate the situation.
The only time I have had one lock up to the point I had to power it down was when I was making a lot of changes to several settings. Most of the time if the upload fails for a controller I can reboot it from the app and continue. I do not make changes in any settings when I am not at the tank. I will limit it to going from off, auto or on with the specific output when I am away from the tank. I defiantly will not do a firmware update without being home at the tank. I will upload the new firmware if I am not at home so all I have to do is install it when I get home.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If, as in my situation, it drops off from the cloud then you can’t reboot it via the app. It just stays disconnected until I can get home, pull the plug out and plug it back in again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If, as in my situation, it drops off from the cloud then you can’t reboot it via the app. It just stays disconnected until I can get home, pull the plug out and plug it back in again.
I understand and that is why I suggested creating a support ticket. It will not ge easy to determine where the issue is if you only have one controller one wifi strip. It could be either the controller or something with the router. If you had more than one controller and all of them did this at the same time I would go for a router issue since the odds of having more than one controller have the same issue at the same time would be very unusual. Just be prepared to answer some questions about the router. They will ask to try and eliminate various things that might be the cause.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The cause is the Hydros.

My phone, TV, PC, IPad, GHL Profilux etc all reconnected when the internet came back up. I now have 2 Hydros Wi-Fi power strips as Coralvue sent me one to replace my other one that keeps dropping off line (the new one seems better but isn’t perfect).

I’m not going through the hoops of more tickets and more ‘it must be my network’ arguments. It is not reliable in my environment so it is going to be retired early.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something you might try next time. Instead of powering down the controller try doing it with the router first to see if it will reconnect that way first. Also try connecting to the controller with the app in bluetooth mode before powering it down and back up if you are at the tank. If you can connect to the controller with the app in bluetooth then the controller is at least working and not locked up.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back