Hydros IV and Other Questions

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually talking about the status light on the unit itself. I could see it in the app, but not on the actual device
The only one on on mine right now is the one labeled collective but it is in a collective and it is currently in night mode. In fact all of mine only have one LED lit at the moment. You can select it and see if it will let you create an output. Try using the constant output type and choose one of the AC outlets. If it lets you you can click on that outlet and it should bring up a popup where it will let you override the output to on, auto or off. See if you can change it see if it responds.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, unrelated. I don’t understand this diagram in the manual.. it looks like the good and the bad wiring are the same in the diagram. Any idea what I am missing?
The only power supplies that cannot be connected with another source of power are the supplies that connect directly to the command bus port. It they connect to a power in port on the controller then you are good. The isolation circuit is built into the controller but they cannot do that on controllers that do not have a separate power input port.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the left menu there is a options selection where you can select the time zone you are in and there is also a LED mode setting and a LED on time and off time setting. You may be past the off time now for the time zone that is selected. The party mode just puts the lights in a party pattern.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only power supplies that cannot be connected with another source of power are the supplies that connect directly to the command bus port. It they connect to a power in port on the controller then you are good. The isolation circuit is built into the controller but they cannot do that on controllers that do not have a separate power input port.
I think I got it. I was missing the data / power vs data cords labels.

So last question, does the X10 fall into this category? Would it basically need just a data cable coming into it?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it. I was missing the data / power vs data cords labels.

So last question, does the X10 fall into this category? Would it basically need just a data cable coming into it?
No the X10 has a power supply that connect to a power input port so you would use a data power type cable. The WE, X10, XD and XP8 can all be connected using the standard command bus cables unless you have a cable longer than 14ft then it would need to be data only and you would need a source of power on both sides of that cable. As an example I have controllers at the tank and also in the garage 35ft away from the tank so the cable between the garage and tank is a data only cable. That is the only one that is data only in my system.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the X10 has a power supply that connect to a power input port so you would use a data power type cable. The WE, X10, XD and XP8 can all be connected using the standard command bus cables unless you have a cable longer than 14ft then it would need to be data only and you would need a source of power on both sides of that cable. As an example I have controllers at the tank and also in the garage 35ft away from the tank so the cable between the garage and tank is a data only cable. That is the only one that is data only in my system.

Thanks. So in my setup, I have an x8, x10x, WE and X4 and X2. The first three all have power supplies, I don’t have power supplies for the X4 and X2. I am assuming I can connect them all with standard and not data?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the power supply that has the issue usually comes in the starter kits. If you got the pro pack then you did not get one of those since the pro packs come with controller and the XP8 controller so that supply is not needed since the XP8 supplies power to the other controller.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So in my setup, I have an x8, x10x, WE and X4 and X2. The first three all have power supplies, I don’t have power supplies for the X4 and X2. I am assuming I can connect them all with standard and not data?
Here is a photo of the power supply that cannot be used with another source of power unless you have a data only cable between it and the other source of power. The connector on it connects to a command bus port just like the command bus cables. If you did not get a starter pack then you probably do not have one since the do not come with a X10, WE, XD or controller only on X4, X2, X3 or XS. The latter are the only ones that would need t if they are not in a collective with other controllers that have power.

IMG_0012.jpeg

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of the power supply that cannot be used with another source of power unless you have a data only cable between it and the other source of power. The connector on it connects to a command bus port just like the command bus cables. If you did not get a starter pack then you probably do not have one since the do not come with a X10, WE, XD or controller only on X4, X2, X3 or XS. The latter are the only ones that would need t if they are not in a collective with other controllers that have power.

IMG_0012.jpeg

Thanks - that is helpful. Did not get one of them.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still wondering how this scenario would even work though.

On the second unit on the right, have a data power cord connected to the left command bus port. Bus also an independent power supply?

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 53

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still wondering how this scenario would even work though.

On the second unit on the right, have a data power cord connected to the left command bus port. Bus also an independent power supply?
Normally you cannot do that since there are only two ports but I think they did that to discourage someone from using a DIY solution to doing that. Also there is third party devices that allow you to connect a power supply like that and uses a CAT5 cable to another box for a data only connection. The boxes have two bus ports if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the subject of power

Normally you cannot do that since there are only two ports but I think they did that to discourage someone from using a DIY solution to doing that. Also there is third party devices that allow you to connect a power supply like that and uses a CAT5 cable to another box for a data only connection. The boxes have two bus ports if I remember correctly.

Got it, that makes sense to me. With the stock parts I felt like it would be impossible

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the subject of power the X10,XD and WE have output ports or pumps that will not operate id their power supplies are not connected to the power input port and are plugged in. The power can go from the power input port to the command bus but cannot go the other direction and the high power ports or devices on those are on the same side of the isolation as the power input port. That is done since those devices or ports could overload the command bus power since it cannot supply the amount of current that things connected to the ports in question or in the case of the X10 may need to run. So those controllers will need their power supplies to work correctly. You can also use a Kraken to supply power to those instead of their individual power supplies.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, does anyone else have the issue of air bubbles forming in the dosing line of the X10, particularly for the reagent. I'm going to double check that the tubing is firmly secure on the doser head but is this common for others?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nc4217 follow-up question. I got just about all of the collective setup and doing minor tweaks. Overall love it.

Question - How did you setup your auto feeder? Is there a way to trigger Feed Mode on a regular basis? Or do I setup the Feeder schedule. Then setup a separate schedule for return pump, and a third for power heads?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back