Hydros IV and Other Questions

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros controls the dynamic dosing. Both are using the alkalinity readings but there is less of a change on All For Reef since I have the range set from 7.5-9.5 and the range on the KH buffer is 8.00-9.00 If the reading was at the low number you would get the largest full schedule dose dose divided by the number of doses. On the other end you would get the smallest full schedule dose divided by number of doses. I say it that way since a schedule might not last a full day. It can be set any time frame and even have it skip specific days of the week if you want. If a reading is in between the high and low readings it would be adjusted depending on the value so the higher the reading the lower the amount dosed and the lower the reading the higher the dose until it reaches a limit then it wont go any higher or lower in the dose amount. If the reading is trending lower than where I want it I can raise the higher and lower amount some or do the reverse if the reading is trending higher.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros controls the dynamic dosing. Both are using the alkalinity readings but there is less of a change on All For Reef since I have the range set from 7.5-9.5 and the range on the KH buffer is 8.00-9.00 If the reading was at the low number you would get the largest full schedule dose dose divided by the number of doses. On the other end you would get the smallest full schedule dose divided by number of doses. I say it that way since a schedule might not last a full day. It can be set any time frame and even have it skip specific days of the week if you want. If a reading is in between the high and low readings it would be adjusted depending on the value so the higher the reading the lower the amount dosed and the lower the reading the higher the dose until it reaches a limit then it wont go any higher or lower in the dose amount. If the reading is trending lower than where I want it I can raise the higher and lower amount some or do the reverse if the reading is trending higher.

Got it. So your almost always dosing some amount of AFR, however the amount of KH buffer (Alk), is only to keep it in range

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So your almost always dosing some amount of AFR, however the amount of KH buffer (Alk), is only to keep it in range
Correct for some reason the AFR keeps the calcium in range but the alkalinity is low just dosing it in my tank. So I am adding just enough of the KH buffer to keep it where I want it. If I have to bump the AFR dose some I will keep and eye on alkalinity and lower if a little if needed. I usually wait for more than one test showing a trend before changing anything.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct for some reason the AFR keeps the calcium in range but the alkalinity is low just dosing it in my tank. So I am adding just enough of the KH buffer to keep it where I want it. If I have to bump the AFR dose some I will keep and eye on alkalinity and lower if a little if needed. I usually wait for more than one test showing a trend before changing anything.

Makes sense. So if I am dosing AFR, I basically will need a doser for AFR and a spare likely for CA or ALk depending on how each is being utilized in my system.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. So if I am dosing AFR, I basically will need a doser for AFR and a spare likely for CA or ALk depending on how each is being utilized in my system.
I don't think you will need one for calcium since you will want to use the AFR for that. You may want to have one for alkalinity dosing if needed. I use my Hanna calcium checker for calcium and use those readings to tweak the AFR dose when needed.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure and get enough command bus cables to connect the controllers together and 2 terminators. If you get a Pro Pack it will have the 2 terminators and one command bus cable. They are daisy chained together using command bus cables to form a collective. You will also need to create the collective and name it in the app. The controller you have accessed at the time you create it will be the first controller in it. The others will have to be added one at a time in the app. You can have them wired together before creating the collective. Also make sure the firmware is up to date on each controller before adding them to the collective.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure and get enough command bus cables to connect the controllers together and 2 terminators. If you get a Pro Pack it will have the 2 terminators and one command bus cable. They are daisy chained together using command bus cables to form a collective. You will also need to create the collective and name it in the app. The controller you have accessed at the time you create it will be the first controller in it. The others will have to be added one at a time in the app. You can have them wired together before creating the collective. Also make sure the firmware is up to date on each controller before adding them to the collective.

Thanks! As far as I know I grabbed everything. That being said, I am positive there will be 1-2 things we’re missing.

My new DT doesn’t come till Jan, so I am working over next 2 months to prep the area and build out my controller, etc.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will give you some time to get aquatinted with the controller and all. There are several preconfigured output types for things like return pumps and heaters. These have some of the settings preconfigured and not available to change but if you need something different you can always use the generic output type which allows everything to be changed. The generic output type has up to 9 inputs and you can either use the AND or OR combiner mode. With the AND mode all inputs have to be in active state for the output to be on. In the OR mode if any of the inputs are active the output will be on. There is also a combiner output type which is about the same but uses other outputs instead of inputs as it't inputs. Also an output does not have to have an actual port assigned to it to work as logic used with other outputs or as a depends on input in other outputs or schedules. That allows advanced setups without having to use code to do it.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. How about something like this then:

X10
DATO
DiV
STemp
SWater Level
SRope Leak
STemp (DT)
PSalinity - iV
PPH - iV
DoseriV
DoseriV
DoseriV
DoserNOPOX
Wave Engine
D4x pumps (2 Gyre, 2 Varios 6 10v Control)
Control X4
DKlir
D-
STemp
SSkimmer
SKlir
SFlow Rate (return)
PPH (realtime, sump)
PORP (realtime, sump)
XP8
AC3ml Doser
AC3ml Doser
AC3ml Doser
ACSkimmer
ACHeater 1
ACHeater 2 (backup)
ACOzone
ACLights
Wifi Power Strip
ACPump 1 (AC)
ACPump 1 (AC)
ACFuge Light
ACUV
USBAuto Feeder
My Wave Engine didnt like trying to run 2 gyres, granted they were the XF350s. The unit would get hot and the pumps would randomly cycle on/off. We run a wave engine and a wave engine LE to solve the problem. The LE runs 1 gyre and one octopulse, the standard wave engine has 1 gyre and 3 octopulse on it. I also run 2 varios 4s on 0-10v and it works great.

I also wouldnt recommend running critical/sensitive equipment like a UV or pumps on the wifi power strip. I always have tons of connectivity issues with them and they can be a pain to reconnect. I just bit the bullet and got another XP8 and tossed the power strip in the garage on the mixing station. Hope this helps!

1700447610206.png

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wave Engine didnt like trying to run 2 gyres, granted they were the XF350s. The unit would get hot and the pumps would randomly cycle on/off. We run a wave engine and a wave engine LE to solve the problem. The LE runs 1 gyre and one octopulse, the standard wave engine has 1 gyre and 3 octopulse on it. I also run 2 varios 4s on 0-10v and it works great.

I also wouldnt recommend running critical/sensitive equipment like a UV or pumps on the wifi power strip. I always have tons of connectivity issues with them and they can be a pain to reconnect. I just bit the bullet and got another XP8 and tossed the power strip in the garage on the mixing station. Hope this helps!

1700447610206.png

Thanks! I am going to have two 330 gyres + varios 4 + 10v controller off of one WaveEngine. Not sure if that is too much or fine. If necessary I could split it out and get a LE to expand pumps in the future (eg a set of octopulses if I go down a heavy sps route)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1700447610206.png
Is the Wave Engine a WEv2 or the original WE? I have the WEv2 but have not used the direct drive ports yet. I use it to control my 2 MP10's.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Wave Engine a WEv2 or the original WE? I have the WEv2 but have not used the direct drive ports yet. I use it to control my 2 MP10's.
It was the OG WE but was sent in and upgraded to WE2 when we were trying to figure out what was going on with it.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am going to have two 330 gyres + varios 4 + 10v controller off of one WaveEngine. Not sure if that is too much or fine. If necessary I could split it out and get a LE to expand pumps in the future (eg a set of octopulses if I go down a heavy sps route)
Give it a shot! It might push those 330s just fine.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will give you some time to get aquatinted with the controller and all. There are several preconfigured output types for things like return pumps and heaters. These have some of the settings preconfigured and not available to change but if you need something different you can always use the generic output type which allows everything to be changed. The generic output type has up to 9 inputs and you can either use the AND or OR combiner mode. With the AND mode all inputs have to be in active state for the output to be on. In the OR mode if any of the inputs are active the output will be on. There is also a combiner output type which is about the same but uses other outputs instead of inputs as it't inputs. Also an output does not have to have an actual port assigned to it to work as logic used with other outputs or as a depends on input in other outputs or schedules. That allows advanced setups without having to use code to do it.

Got all equipment and setting up the collective. I of course didn’t watch any videos or read instructions and just sphetti wired all the devices together with connectors. I was able to bring online the X10 and X8 and see if in the app.

The status lights on the X8 aren’t showing (status, connected, wifi , etc.). LEDs around the unit are lit up. However the X10 does show its online visually (dots next to each).

I can reboot the X8 in my app, so there is some remote control.

Should I only expect to see the status on one of the devices? Or relook at how I wired them up?

Here is my initial crack at the layout

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 56

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all equipment and setting up the collective. I of course didn’t watch any videos or read instructions and just sphetti wired all the devices together with connectors. I was able to bring online the X10 and X8 and see if in the app.

The status lights on the X8 aren’t showing (status, connected, wifi , etc.). LEDs around the unit are lit up. However the X10 does show its online visually (dots next to each).

I can reboot the X8 in my app, so there is some remote control.

Should I only expect to see the status on one of the devices? Or relook at how I wired them up?

Here is my initial crack at the layout
Have you created a collective in the app yet?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you created a collective in the app yet?

Not yet. I am going to mess with that next after reading up more (and following instructions).

Wouldn’t you expect the X8 to have status indicators lit up? Or does only one device show the status? Or do they sync after creating the actual collective?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I am going to mess with that next after reading up more (and following instructions).

Wouldn’t you expect the X8 to have status indicators lit up? Or does only one device show the status? Or do they sync after creating the actual collective?
The XP8 and X4 do not show stats in the same way. If it is not in a collective you will need to select each controller in the left menu individually to do anything. The only thing is anything you do except on the controller that you have access to when you create the collective will have any settings made to it as far as inputs and outputs erased when it gets added to the collective. So I would not do too much with them until you get them in a collective together. Once they are in a collective they will disappear form the left menu as a selection but the collective will be there instead.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually talking about the status light on the unit itself. I could see it in the app, but not on the actual device

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, unrelated. I don’t understand this diagram in the manual.. it looks like the good and the bad wiring are the same in the diagram. Any idea what I am missing?

Attachments

• IMG_2870.png
    IMG_2870.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 55

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back