Salinity Probe with Hydros System? X10 only?

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to be able to use the salinity probe with the Hydros system, I understand that it’s designed to be used with the IV container, but it seems like only the X10 device has a port specifically labeled for it? Or will the salinity probe also work with the “Probe” connector on, e.g., the X4?

on the X10, can I use the “salinity” port as a second Ph probe if I want to use the other Ph probe for alkalinity testing? Or can I just keep 1 ph probe in the sump and use that for alk testing?

Last edited:

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to be able to use the salinity probe with the Hydros system, I understand that it’s designed to be used with the IV container, but it seems like only the X10 device has a port specifically labeled for it? Or will the salinity probe also work with the “Probe” connector on, e.g., the X4?

on the X10, can I use the “salinity” port as a second Ph probe if I want to use the other Ph probe for alkalinity testing? Or can I just keep 1 ph probe in the sump and use that for alk testing?
Right now the X10 is the only Control Unit with a Salinity probe port. You can not use the salinity probe without the X10. If you use the X10 you only get 1 pH probe port. However you will get periodic pH readings every time you test for alkalinity. I have a screenshot of my dashboard attached with the readings that I get from my X10. You can see that the readings are time-stamped showing when they were taken.
Untitled.png

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the very prompt reply - do you know if I can just keep the ph probe in the sump for a more continuous monitoring? just trying to avoid constantly pumping water out of the system. Plus it’s nice to just look up ph throughout the day to see how it goes up/down.

thanks again!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the very prompt reply - do you know if I can just keep the ph probe in the sump for a more continuous monitoring? just trying to avoid constantly pumping water out of the system. Plus it’s nice to just look up ph throughout the day to see how it goes up/down.

thanks again!
You can keep the pH probe in the sump but you need to have it in the IV for Alk readings. For me, I test Alk every 4 hours and I am fine with a pH test every 4 hours. If I were to want continuous readings I would need to add another control module with a pH probe port and add another probe, or I could stop Alk testing.

Bill333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaron - Is it possible to use the salinity probe in the tank instead of the iV? Can the salinity probe be used in the iV and still use it for alkalinity tests?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaron - Is it possible to use the salinity probe in the tank instead of the iV? Can the salinity probe be used in the iV and still use it for alkalinity tests?
You can use a salinity probe in the sump or tank for realtime readings but it will have the same issues that other controllers have with it there. There is a place for the pH probe, the lines for drain, fill and reagent along with a place for the salinity probe. The pH and salinity readings are taken just before the alkalinity test starts. The alkalinity test takes about 30 minutes to complete but it depends on the alkalinity of the tank as to how long. I test 4 times a day 6 hours apart.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back