Hydros users please help this noob choose a controller model!

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get my first controller and I've narrowed it down to either the Hydros X3 or X2.

I'm upgrading to a 50g tank and I'd like the controller to control my temperature, ATO and monitor pH using a pH probe. If I get the X3, I could plug in a temperature and a pH probe into the controller but it doesn't have a drive port to run the Hydros ATO pump. But what if I got their level sensor without the pump, could I plug a generic pump into the power bar and have the controller run it according to the level sensor? I assume so based on the research I've done so far but just wanted to get confirmation from someone already using this brand.

Or if I get the X2, I could plug in the temperature sensor and the Hydros ATO kit, and get a separate continuous pH probe but I wouldn't be able to monitor it through the app. I've never used a pH probe in my tank so I'm not sure how important it would be for me to be able to check pH remotely. Any thoughts? Have you ever had a situation where you were glad the app was able to notify you about pH issues so you could take immediate action?

I know the X4 would allow me to plug in everything but it's more than I want to spend on a controller right now.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know you can add the controllers together to create a larger controller. So choose what is more important for present. Then later on you can get another controller a buss cable and a terminator. Then you can create a collective with the two. They then share inputs and outputs so it acts like a single controller with all the inputs and outputs of both. The second controller can be controller only with the terminator and cable. It does not have to be a starter kit. The first one get a starter kit. I currently have 8 control units in a collective. I have some information on the Hydros in my build thread starting at post #119. The first one I got was a X4, but I needed the 0-10v inputs for a specific purpose. I didn't need the 2 pH ports on it for what I was going to use it for. I have since added various control units. For ATO use a drive port or an output on an XP8. The wifi outputs will stay in the current state if communications is lost with the controller. Not sure that would be good if the ATO was on when that happened. I use drive ports for all my dosing pumps including ATW and AWC. I also use the to drive the solenoids on my RODI unit to refill the storage tanks when they go low.

Click on my build thread banner to get to the build thread where I have the Hydros info starting at post #119.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. Yes, I do know I could add another controller later but I'm actually hoping to invest in a GHL somewhere down the line if I'm able to continue in the hobby. I might have to shut down my tank in 2-3 years so I want a simple controller to tide me over till then and I don't want to have to get another controller to add to a collective in a year.

I am planning to get a starter pack. When you say I could connect an ATO to an XP8 do you mean their wifi power bars in general or the XP8 specifically? And do you mean a pre-packaged ATO like the Tunze Osmolator which has it's own probe? Because I'm thinking of getting the Hydros level probe and use a small generic pump plugged into the power bar (that's assuming I get an X3 without the drive port) and I want to confirm that I can get the controller to turn on the pump when the probe reads dry and then turn it off when the probe reads wet.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might get better answers here

or

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a wifi outlet to run a ATO pump if you keep in mind that if for some reason the wifi power strip looses communication with the controller it will keep running until communication is restored. So make sure the ATO tank only has as much water as can be handled by your system just in case this were to happen. Also setup Maximum On Time and set to not run past maximum on time. I would also set a minimum off time. This will limit the amout of top off in a given amount of time. I use a dosing pump for ATO. Since the flow rate is low it is easier to regulate the amount being added. The DP8 is an 8 output AC controller. It only has the 8 AC outputs but is a controller just like the X3.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

Isn't there an option to turn an outlet off if it loses communication with the controller? I was thinking I'd set the ATO pump to off if that happens to make sure it doesn't add too much water but using a small reservoir is also a good idea. Thank you.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

Isn't there an option to turn an outlet off if it loses communication with the controller? I was thinking I'd set the ATO pump to off if that happens to make sure it doesn't add too much water but using a small reservoir is also a good idea. Thank you.
There is if the input is not available but the wifi strip is controlled via wifi with the controller. The controller has to tell it to turn on and tell it to turn off. Now if you loose power then the wifi strip does default to off until it gets a command from the controller. All control for the outlets is on the controller itself. Is there a specific reason for wanting a GHL over the Hydros? Is this the first controller for you? Which ever controller you have there is a learning curve to them. I have quite a few screenshots of the Hydros app on my build thread. That will give you an idea of how it sets up.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my ATO output setup.

I use a dosing pump so my on times are in minutes. The second and third screenshots are of a output I use to turn off the ATO if any of those conditions are not met. If for some reason it runs past max on time or stays off past max off time an alert is sent. The pump will turn off once max on time is met. The photo is a dosing pump I used for ATO. I get these from Amazon for about $27 with a power pack. So you can use them on a wifi output. I currently put a Hydros dosing pump in it's place to try it out. It is work good so far.

967862DB-C8F2-4B90-9236-61E2768149AD.png

1D1CB637-324F-42E4-A6CF-3A1B225A1BA3.png

DD167984-865F-40D0-B8B8-360579555DA6.png

CAFADDB2-7F57-4E3B-8184-E3C0E9B2313B.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just concerned about the longevity of this product and if it will get expansions like neptunes trident or ghl ion director. Looking at aquarium controllers too but probably leaning towards ghl right now. Hopefully neptune will give an updated controller this year as well as it has been 6 years since the last update

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was looking at your build thread and I noticed you set it to turn the pump on for a certain amount of time rather than until the level sense gets a "wet" signal. Why did you choose to do it that way? (Might be dumb question but I've never used an ATO.)

I'm very attracted by GHL's apparent longevity. If the Hydros develops a reputation for that in the couple of years it takes me to figure out where things are going with this tank, I might stick with it. I doubt it though considering it's two to three times cheaper than the GHL. Even the Apex, which is so expensive, isn't as reliable as I'd like from what I've heard.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny, are there advantages to using a dosing pump as opposed to a regular water pump/powerhead for ATO?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the probes and stuff that arent as reliable, I think GHL has the edge over neptune with their water testing products right now, which I personally want as I would like to control my dosing better. The x3 looks to be a good price point though so I see how it is tempting

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the probes and stuff that arent as reliable, I think GHL has the edge over neptune with their water testing products right now, which I personally want as I would like to control my dosing better. The x3 looks to be a good price point though so I see how it is tempting
I've also heard that GHL probes are of higher quality which is another reason I'd get it for a more permanent system.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny, are there advantages to using a dosing pump as opposed to a regular water pump/powerhead for ATO?
Yes, the main reason is my storage tanks are in the garage and the tank is 35ft away from the garage. The tubing to and from the tank runs up through the wall and attic to the garage. They do work really good for this use though. The timing is more consistent. Also on the minimum on time is used so that enough water is dispensed each time to last a while before the sensor triggers another fill. this is dependent on the pump used and the size of your sump. The Hydros comes with a Pinpoint pH probe but any BNC type probe should work if you prefer a different brand. The temp sensor is a digital IC in the tip that sends a digital signal back to the Hydros controller. The sense port has a digital and analog input along with 5v power.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you get a system with the same things in it the price is not that much different between systems. This is a similar package to the Apex here.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, thank you.

So sounds like I could make X3 work well for me. What about the X2? Is having a pH probe connected to the controller as opposed to monitoring separately worth the price difference would you say?

I'm sure the prices are generally comparable but I'm absolutely decided against getting an Apex.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X2 does have 2 drive ports you can use but you would have to get either a Hydros dosing pump which is made by Kamoer or their ATO pump to use the drive port. You can make a drive port cable to hook to the Intllab dosing pumps but It requires a GX12 2 pin connector and a cable with the plug for the dosing pump. It would require soldering the cable to the correct pins of the GX12 connector. The Hydros dosing pump comes with this cable. There is no way to hook a pH port to the X2. The X2 and XS are entry level controller or for adding to an existing collective. The X3 is also in that category since it only has 2 sense ports and a pH port. At this time the X4 is the standard controller for Hydros. I am not sure what you were going to use for pH . I guess it comes down to which is more important a pH reading or ATO. The Hydros also has connectivity with the Alkatronic and Mastertronic testing systems if you are into automated testing.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a separate continuous pH probe like the Pinpoint and just read the values from there when I'm home. I know I wouldn't be able to have it hooked up to the controller. I've never monitored pH in my system (I know I probably should) so I just don't have any experience from which to draw on to decide whether I want the controller to monitor the pH for me and send me alarms in case something is wrong, or whether I'll be fine just monitoring it manually.

I think the Hydros can graph values over time right? How long does it store data for? I can't seem to find the info online.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That meter is around $95. I have one but don't use it much anymore. Those probes need to be kept wet. If they dry out it can damage the probe. It is a nice meter. That is about the difference between a X2 an X3 kit. So it would be about the same as an X3 if got the X2 and one of those. There is a difference in pH during the day so try and check it around the same times during the day if you will be comparing readings. As far as graphs currently the Hydros displays 5 days of data but I have been told that around 6 months worth is in cloud storage. They do plan on expanding graphing and including a way to download the data for use in programs such as Excel. Below is a screenshot of my temp and pH graph on my iPad.

9C6AF057-DB8A-45BF-A53F-DFBCF4C20A26.png

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah you're right. I thought it was a bit cheaper but I must've been remembering wrong. I should get the X3 then.

Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!
Happy New Year by the way! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back