Hydros WaveEngine Flow Patterns

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, 60g, 48x18x16 tank. Im trying to configure my pumps and flow patterns using the Hydros WaveEngine.

Its connected, running fine. Playing around with the presets and triggers, pretty cool tool to have.

One Varios 4 return pump set at a constant speed.
Two Pulse 2s currently on opposite ends of the tank, running LPS flow pattern.

Is there more direct guidance on pump positioning using the various patterns. For example, https://www.coralvuehydros.com/waveengineflowmodes/ the gyre pattern states using multiple pumps, Ocean Swell states "The pattern then moves into Nutrient Export briefly before repeating the cycle from the other direction." How does it switch, pumps in reverse? Pumps same side or opposite? How long is the cycle for ocean swell?

Any help?

/r
Sean

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsewell
HI Jeff,
I have the WE and love it now that Carlos got me fixed up(had some software problems early on). I currently have mine running two Octo Pulse 4's, one on same end and the other on opposite end and they are currently running on the Ocean Swell pattern. How it works is one runs opposite of the other so one in forward the other in reverse, then they switch directions. They will start slowly and ramping up to full speed which you can set, and then ramp back down. I didn't realize that they run a Nutrient Export but I have mine set to run Nutrient Export one time in the middle of the day. The WE is highly programable so you can set max/min speeds on any and all programs.

I'm probably more confusing than helpful so let's get you some help. I've had really good luck with getting help from @Jeff@CoralVue and @Carlos@CoralVue hopefully they'll chime in here and get you rolling.

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JohnGP Thank you very much. In the pump settings, you have one set to same end, the other to opposite end? And reverse set on for both?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JohnGP Thank you very much. In the pump settings, you have one set to same end, the other to opposite end? And reverse set on for both?

I suggest emailing [email protected] so we can give you one-on-one support and dial in your pumps just the way you like. There will be an app update released soon that is going to make the user experience far better. It's a pretty dramatic change that I know you will appreciate. Beyond making it more graphical, we've also consolidated screens so there's less steps to accomplish things. I am not sure if it's in the next update, but a streamlined way to present presets/triggers/modes is coming too, which which will make their relationship to each other more obvious and easier to set up/adjust.

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest emailing [email protected] so we can give you one-on-one support and dial in your pumps just the way you like. There will be an app update released soon that is going to make the user experience far better. It's a pretty dramatic change that I know you will appreciate. Beyond making it more graphical, we've also consolidated screens so there's less steps to accomplish things. I am not sure if it's in the next update, but a streamlined way to present presets/triggers/modes is coming too, which which will make their relationship to each other more obvious and easier to set up/adjust.

Well, Maybe it was a mistake to waste money on a product that doesn't have support or a larger following of people that know how to use it. I guess the Hydros WaveEngine has one thing going for it, one power brick.

Your Facebook CoralVue Hydros also couldn't give any answers and said to contact support as well. Your support said its user preference and a quick search on sites such as R2R will help with what others are doing. Literally a one line response.

And new software/app would be nice if it improves anything other than flashy buttons.

I understand that there are to many variables and user preferences in setting up pumps, pump position etc. But when you buy a product that offers a selection of options it would be nice to have supporting documentation or something that better explains what that actually is. Lets use ocean swell again as an example. It states "Ocean Swell Mode creates a high-energy environment. The flow alternates between turbulent and tranquil. The pattern then moves into Nutrient Export briefly before repeating the cycle from the other direction." So one is to assume two pumps? Opposite sides of the tank? IDK Im drawing a blank. As it would seem simple to set up but it surely is not.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Maybe it was a mistake to waste money on a product that doesn't have support or a larger following of people that know how to use it. I guess the Hydros WaveEngine has one thing going for it, one power brick.

Your Facebook CoralVue Hydros also couldn't give any answers and said to contact support as well. Your support said its user preference and a quick search on sites such as R2R will help with what others are doing. Literally a one line response.

And new software/app would be nice if it improves anything other than flashy buttons.

I understand that there are to many variables and user preferences in setting up pumps, pump position etc. But when you buy a product that offers a selection of options it would be nice to have supporting documentation or something that better explains what that actually is. Lets use ocean swell again as an example. It states "Ocean Swell Mode creates a high-energy environment. The flow alternates between turbulent and tranquil. The pattern then moves into Nutrient Export briefly before repeating the cycle from the other direction." So one is to assume two pumps? Opposite sides of the tank? IDK Im drawing a blank. As it would seem simple to set up but it surely is not.

Flow is incredibly subjective. What I mean by that is what works for you may not work for someone else. What may seem like a lot of water flow to you, maybe not enough for someone else. Also, every tank is different. Every tank has different aqua-scaping, different sand, and biodiversity, among others. If you have seahorses, you want the flow to be gentle and very different than if you have an aquarium full of tangs.

If your corals are growing a certain way, then you may not be able to position the powerheads the same way someone else does. The only one that can tell what works for your tank is you. The only way to know for sure what works and what does not is by testing different locations and reading your aquarium. Your corals, fish, and sand will tell you if the pump is right or needs moving.

With that said, a good starting point is placing pumps at opposite ends and running Sine Wave. All flow patterns are some Sine Wave with different intensities. The samples we provide at www.coralvuehydros.com/getstarted are flow patterns that we currently use in our tanks. Some people like to micromanage their flow patterns, and some like it simple. We believe simple is better, but if that is not for you, use the flow patterns we created as a starting point.

Test, test, and test. That is the only way to know what works for your tank. I wish there was a one-fits-all setting, but there isn't. Flow is like personal taste; everybody is different.

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is incredibly subjective. What I mean by that is what works for you may not work for someone else. What may seem like a lot of water flow to you, maybe not enough for someone else. Also, every tank is different. Every tank has different aqua-scaping, different sand, and biodiversity, among others. If you have seahorses, you want the flow to be gentle and very different than if you have an aquarium full of tangs.

If your corals are growing a certain way, then you may not be able to position the powerheads the same way someone else does. The only one that can tell what works for your tank is you. The only way to know for sure what works and what does not is by testing different locations and reading your aquarium. Your corals, fish, and sand will tell you if the pump is right or needs moving.

With that said, a good starting point is placing pumps at opposite ends and running Sine Wave. All flow patterns are some Sine Wave with different intensities. The samples we provide at www.coralvuehydros.com/getstarted are flow patterns that we currently use in our tanks. Some people like to micromanage their flow patterns, and some like it simple. We believe simple is better, but if that is not for you, use the flow patterns we created as a starting point.

Test, test, and test. That is the only way to know what works for your tank. I wish there was a one-fits-all setting, but there isn't. Flow is like personal taste; everybody is different.
Thank you for the reply. I am not asking about where should I place my pumps for my tank for best flow. What I am asking is, for your equipment to work as advertised what are the settings for the different modes and pump combinations. Ocean swell does t swell if you don't have multiple pumps working, does reverse have to be enabled. Are they in the same group just opposite sides in the tank AND in the settings. One listed same other opposite?

I like the device but to give multiple
Flow patterns but not say how to set the pumps up to use the pattern is a waste of time. How long does a cycle last in ocean swell?

And yes I have been testing and testing but I can plug in a $120 tunze pump and get a sine wave. In less than 5 mins. The instructions tell you how to use the product. Yours states you have the options but not how to achieve the desired effect.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are not in the business of selling equipment that does not do what is supposed to do that. If that was the case, CoralVue would have not lasted for as many years as we have been around.

The flows will work with multiple pumps. The flows are meant to work primarily with 2 pumps as it is what most people have. Having 4 pumps would be a big plus but it is not required.

In terms of pattern details, we cannot disclose that information. That is something we keep secret as we do not want other companies to just copy all the work we have put into it. Every company has a set of trade secrets that keeps a competitive advantage. I hope you understand that we have to protect our property.

In terms of reverse, you do not have to do that. There are lots of pumps on the market that do not run in reverse so the controller will only run the pump in reverse if first, you allow it, and second, the pump itself allows it. You can run an OctoPulse Pump in reverse but you cannot run an EcoTech Vortech in reverse even if you wanted to. The WaveEngine will make sure that the pump is only doing what the manufacturer allows it to do.

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsewell
HI Jeff,
I have the WE and love it now that Carlos got me fixed up(had some software problems early on). I currently have mine running two Octo Pulse 4's, one on same end and the other on opposite end and they are currently running on the Ocean Swell pattern. How it works is one runs opposite of the other so one in forward the other in reverse, then they switch directions. They will start slowly and ramping up to full speed which you can set, and then ramp back down. I didn't realize that they run a Nutrient Export but I have mine set to run Nutrient Export one time in the middle of the day. The WE is highly programable so you can set max/min speeds on any and all programs.

I'm probably more confusing than helpful so let's get you some help. I've had really good luck with getting help from @Jeff@CoralVue and @Carlos@CoralVue hopefully they'll chime in here and get you rolling.
Let's try this, johngp can you message me pictures of how your triggers, pumps and presets are now for ocean swell. Maybe I can use that to set mine up since no one else is willing to help.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try this, johngp can you message me pictures of how your triggers, pumps and presets are now for ocean swell. Maybe I can use that to set mine up since no one else is willing to help.

FYI, if your tanks are different lengths, your pump settings may differ. If John has a smaller tank, then he cannot run the pumps as intensely as you would. If your sand is finer than his, then you may need to reduce the intensity of your pumps.

Pump settings are different from one tank to another.

As far as the Ocean Swell Preset, just select the pattern and then select your Maximum speed. A trigger will activate the Ocean Swell Preset. If you want the Preset to start running at 8 am, then you create a TRIGGER that runs the preset at 8 am. If you like the flow and the only thing you want to do after is run Nutrient Export at night, then just create a TRIGGER at 8 pm that will take over the running of the pumps until 8 am the next morning when the Ocean Swell TRIGGER starts again.

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, if your tanks are different lengths, your pump settings may differ. If John has a smaller tank, then he cannot run the pumps as intensely as you would. If your sand is finer than his, then you may need to reduce the intensity of your pumps.

Pump settings are different from one tank to another.

As far as the Ocean Swell Preset, just select the pattern and then select your Maximum speed. A trigger will activate the Ocean Swell Preset. If you want the Preset to start running at 8 am, then you create a TRIGGER that runs the preset at 8 am. If you like the flow and the only thing you want to do after is run Nutrient Export at night, then just create a TRIGGER at 8 pm that will take over the running of the pumps until 8 am the next morning when the Ocean Swell TRIGGER starts again.
Yes sir understand that the individual pump intensity may be different. Just like the actually placement of the pumps in the tank itself. However the nitty gritty pump settings, same group, different group, same side or opposite, allow reverse etc will not be different. And since he mentioned that you helped him set it up I can ensure that I have mine set the same and adjust flow settings for my own accordingly.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsewell Hi Sean,
Yes sir that is exactly how I have mine set. I can understand your frustration as it is a little confusing at first and I still haven't figured it all out yet but I'm sure we can get you straightened out. I suck at explaining things, especially if I'm not real knowledgeable on them but I'll try.

Your WE is all hooked up and running with your pumps already assigned to it correct? If not you'll need to add your pumps, add them under "Pumps" and assign them to a group(Group 1 most likely). If you need help on that let me know but I'm going to assume(you know what they say about that!) you have that done.

So I'm not sure if this is the correct order but I'm just going to go down the drop down menu in the order it shows. So, First you'll want to go to "Presets" by touching the three little bars in the top left corner of the app and make a tab/folder or whatever it's called by touching the "+" in the lower right corner. Name it and click "Create", I labeled mine as "Day". See pic below...
Presets Page.png
Now click on your new folder and you'll see the following;
"Type" choose "Ocean Swell".
"Control Input"-If your pumps are controlled directly then leave this set to "None".
"Speed range"- is the Minimum and Maximum speed at which your pumps will run at in the "Day" program. This will take some trial and error but mine are currently set to Min-15% Max-64%.
"Cycle Duration"-is, I believe, how long the program will run. Mine shows 10 hours, I don't recall setting this so I think it will automatically adjust when you add another program, for example I also did all of the above and set up a "Night" folder/tab that comes on in the evening and I think that's why it shows 10 hours. Anyway not to get too confusing lets move on to Triggers.

Touch the back arrow, top left, and then the 3 little bars again and click on "Triggers" in the drop down menu.
Click the "+" sign lower right and name it "Day" as well, should look something like this;
Triggers.png

Click on your new folder and you'll see this;
Preset Folder Day.png

"Type" is Basic.
"Group" is "Group 1"
"Time of Day" is when it begins, I set mine to 0900. If you don't add another Trigger it will run 24/7.
"Mode" is "Normal"
"Preset" is "Day".

Ok let's move on to "Pumps". Same thing, back arrow, 3 little bars and then "Pumps" then "+". Name the Pump, mine is "Octo Pulse 4L" (4L for left). Do this for each of your wave makers. here's a pic of my page;
Pump settings.png

Now let's set up those pumps.
Click on your first pumps folder listed there on that page.
"Type"- Pretty self explanatory, it's your pump from that drop down list.
"Group"- This is going to be "Group 1".
"Position"- This one has a little picture to help you choose the position, if yours are at each end of your tank then make your left side pump "Same End" and make your right side pump "Opposite End".
"Speed range"- Ok this gets a little confusing, this setting is what controls the speed of your pump and it also ties into the main speed setting we set back in "Presets", kind of confusing but you'll eventually figure it out. Mine is set to; 15%-85% for my left pump.
"Low Power Speed"- This is what you want your pumps to run at IF you have a back up power supply should the power go out. Mine are set to 35%
"Direct Output"- This is the outlet on the WE that you have this pump plugged into either 1, 2, 3, or 4.
"Invert Rotation"- I think this will make the pump run opposite of the other pump, mine is off.
"Reverse Speed Range"- This is the maximum speed this pump will run at in reverse. Mine is 15%-49%. This is handy, for example my right pump was really blowing sand in reverse so I just turned it down here and boom, works great.
"Allow Reverse"- Obvious one here, turn that baby on.

So again; you're going to have to make a folder for each pump under the "Pumps" tab and include those pumps in Group 1. This will make it so all pumps in group 1 work together. I set up a "Day" and "Night" (Presets) so the night time kicks in and all my wave makers slow down just as it would at night in the real Ocean. Keep in mind I'm still learning how to use the WE but once you start to get the hang of it it's really handy. For example my wife wanted to try and feed the fish today so I turned the pumps off for her from work, 20 miles away! Lots of neat stuff you can do with it so hang in there, it's worth it. Hopefully this new software update Jeff and Carlos are talking about will make it even easier.

Ok I may have made a diasaster of this post by trying to add pics, if so sorry about that. @Jeff@CoralVue and @Carlos@CoralVue if I have anything wrong please correct me here, just trying to help Sean out.

Preset Folder Day.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlos, first let me apologize. I have been fighting this thing for a while and everywhere I ask for help, no one is willing. I get told from Facebook Coralvue Hydros to ask support, support tells me to look at the forums, the forums, Jeff, tells me to contact support. I've been going in circles.

I have attached my current pump, preset and trigger settings, as well as a SS of the status page. I have been in ocean swell mode yet my pumps sit at 54-55% both of them and don't move...

I'm not asking where to set my pumps in the tank, other than are they opposite of each other, same side etc. All I am asking is for the correct settings to use the program and how long does the cycle last before it automatically goes into export mode before switching directions... Because as of now it doesn't move at all.

Screenshot_20200609-161355.png Screenshot_20200609-161420.png Screenshot_20200609-161426.png Screenshot_20200609-161530.png Screenshot_20200609-161539.png Screenshot_20200609-161447.png Screenshot_20200609-161508.png

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsewell Hi Sean,
Yes sir that is exactly right. I can understand your frustration as it is a little confusing at first and I still haven't figured it all out yet but I'm sure we can get you straightened out. I suck at explaining things, especially if I'm not real knowledgeable on them but I'll try.

Your WE is all hooked up and running with your pumps already assigned to it correct? If not you'll need to add your pumps, add them under "Pumps" and assign them to a group(Group 1 most likely). If you need help on that let me know but I'm going to assume(you know what they say about that!) you have that done.

So I'm not sure if this is the correct order but I'm just going to go down the drop down menu in the order it shows. So, First you'll want to go to "Presets" by touching the three little bars in the top left corner of the app and make a tab/folder or whatever it's called by touching the "+" in the lower right corner. Name it and click "Create",
I labeled mine as "Day". Presets Page.png
Now click on your new folder and you'll see the following;
"Type" choose "Ocean Swell".
"Control Input"-If your pumps are controlled directly then leave this set to "None".
"Speed range"- is the Minimum and Maximum speed at which your pumps will run at in the "Day" program. This will take some trial and error but mine are currently set to Min-15% Max-64%.
"Cycle Duration"-is, I believe, how long the program will run. Mine shows 10 hours, I don't recall setting this so I think it will automatically adjust when you add another program, for example I also did all of the above and set up a "Night" folder/tab that comes on in the evening and I think that's why it shows 10 hours. Anyway not to get too confusing lets move on to Triggers.

Touch the 3 little bars again and click on "Triggers" in the drop down menu.
Click the "+" sign lower right and name it "Day" as well.
Triggers.png
"Type" is Basic.
"Group" is "Group 1"
"Time of Day" is when it begins, I set mine to 0900. If you don't add another Trigger it will run 24/7.
"Mode" is "Normal"
"Preset" is "Day".

Ok let's move on to "Pumps". Same thing, 3 little bars then "Pumps" then "+". Name the Pump, mine is "Octo Pulse 4L" (4L for left). Do this for each of your wave makers.

Now let's set up those pumps.
Click on your first pumps folder listed there on that page.
"Type"- Pretty self explanatory, it's your pump from that drop down list.
"Group"- This is going to be "Group 1".
"Position"- This one has a little picture to help you choose the position, if yours are at each end of your tank then make your left side pump "Same End" and make your right side pump "Opposite End".
"Speed range"- Ok this gets a little confusing, this setting is what controls the speed of your pump and it also ties into the main speed setting we set back in "Presets", kind of confusing but you'll eventually figure it out. Mine is set to; 15%-85% for my left pump.
"Low Power Speed"- This is what you want your pumps to run at IF you have a back up power supply should the power go out. Mine are set to 35%
"Direct Output"- This is the outlet on the WE that you have this pump plugged into either 1, 2, 3, or 4.
"Invert Rotation"- I think this will make the pump run opposite of the other pump, mine is off.
"Reverse Speed Range"- This is the maximum speed this pump will run at in reverse. Mine is 15%-49%. This is handy, for example my right pump was really blowing sand in reverse so I just turned it down here and boom, works great.
"Allow Reverse"- Obvious one here, turn that baby on.

So again; you're going to have to make a folder for each pump under the "Pumps" tab and include those pumps in Group 1. This will make it so all pumps in group 1 work together. I set up a "Day" and "Night" (Presets) so the night time kicks in and all my wave makers slow down just as it would at night in the real Ocean. Keep in mind I'm still learning how to use the WE but once you start to get the hang of it it's really handy. For example my wife wanted to try and feed the fish today so I turned the pumps off for her from work, 20 miles away! Lots of neat stuff you can do with it so hang in there, it's worth it. Hopefully this new software update Jeff and Carlos are talking about will make it even easier.

Ok I may have made a diasaster of this post by trying to add pics, if so sorry about that. @Jeff@CoralVue and @Carlos@CoralVue if I have anything wrong please correct me here, just trying to help Sean out.
I dont have a cycle duration option in ocean swell.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be because you only have one program so it's always going to run that cycle?

OP
OP
S

spsewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be because you only have one program so it's always going to run that cycle?
I have a day and night set, day at 11, 70% Ocean Swell, Night at 2000, 40% Ocean swell
I had a huricane preset set once an hr on the hr but since Ocean swell provides, or supposed to provide export at the end of the cycle I took it out.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, well shoot, better wait for the Pro's. I sent you a PM....

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, well shoot, better wait for the Pro's. I sent you a PM....
Hey John. You sure the ocean swell mode runs the pump in reverse mode? I have the same pump and also followed your detailed instruction to set mine up but the pump does not run in reverse. I did check the allow reverse. Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back