Hydros XP8 alternating on and off for a stream pump

Reef Altitude

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2022
Messages
145
Reaction score
187
Location
Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a wavesurfer that Sicce offers to us on their Steam pumps which are also advertised as able to rapidly switch on and off. Has anyone used the wave surfer and can a XP8 do a similar alternating on/off flow?

I like the steam pump because it will throw water the whole 6 feet length of my peninsula from the back wall.

Any experience is appreciated!


New tank so far...

1663253257140.png
 
I would look for a pump that has a built in controller or that can be controlled via wifi or through an app. I don't think I would use an outlet for rapid on/off on any controller, especially when there are so many pumps to choose from. I would consider a Tunze Stream 3, that will push plenty of water in a 6' tank.
 
I hear you and pretty much agree, but these are also in two slightly different price ranges... Looking to spend a little less if it will work. Even something like a couple hours on and a couple hours off would be fine.

If the message is the XP8 relays or switches or w/e they use would just wear out quickly and are not able to handle this then that makes sense!
 
I hear you and pretty much agree, but these are also in two slightly different price ranges... Looking to spend a little less if it will work. Even something like a couple hours on and a couple hours off would be fine.

If the message is the XP8 relays or switches or w/e they use would just wear out quickly and are not able to handle this then that makes sense!
That's exactly it. Outlets of any brand are not designed for that type of use. It's the reason we don't use outlets for heater control.
 
Rossmont, which unfortunately is out of business now, had AC driven pumps and a controller, but they didn’t really take off. I would just pick up a separate controller and use whatever pump you want if budget is your major concern. The great thing about Tunze pumps is their durability and longevity. They are built to last in the harsh conditions of our tanks. If you want to just do on/off every couple hours, then just buy a couple timers and overlap their time. I wouldn’t use a controller’s (apex, hydros, etc) power bar to do this for the reasons mentioned above.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new