Hyposalinity on display tank

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to start hyposalinity on my 225 gallon display tank to treat ich. I would do a hospital tank but I got about 15 fish which include emperor, yellow tang, porcupine puffer, foxface, dwarf angels, gobies and damsels. So I'm wondering what I should be expecting, is the ammonia or nitrate gonna rise over the course of the whole treatment? Do I turn the protein skimmer off?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity can cause a die off of algae and your CuC. If you have a lot of algae in your tank, it dying can potentially cause an ammonia spike. It doesn't harm your nitrifying bacteria so that is a good thing. And you should keep your skimmer running.

OP
OP
Colten

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have much algae so that's good. So, it shouldn't be to hard to do right? Do I need to worry about ph? Thanks again for the info

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have much algae so that's good. So, it shouldn't be to hard to do right? Do I need to worry about ph? Thanks again for the info
Your pH will drop so you need to watch it but it "shouldn't" cause a problem. As your salinity drops, your alkalinity will also drop. As it drops your pH will drop.
The biggest concern with your pH dropping, imo, is that ammonia becomes more toxic at lower pH's. If you can keep a handle on your ammonia you should be fine. Expect to see a pH in the mid 7's.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that ammonia becomes more toxic at lower pH's

Everything @Brew12 said is great advice. But the PH being lower makes the ammonia less toxic. When the PH is high, the ammonia is more toxic. That's why fish can be shipped in a closed back for 24 hours, because the PH lowers in the bag keeping the ammonia from being toxic. Once you open the bag, the PH rises quickly and makes the ammonia dangerous. Same applies with tanks. No matter what though, you want to keep your ammonia at 0 and your PH correct in the display while running Hypo. Keep things as stable as you can since stability is a big key to this hobby.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything @Brew12 said is great advice. But the PH being lower makes the ammonia less toxic. When the PH is high, the ammonia is more toxic. That's why fish can be shipped in a closed back for 24 hours, because the PH lowers in the bag keeping the ammonia from being toxic. Once you open the bag, the PH rises quickly and makes the ammonia dangerous. Same applies with tanks. No matter what though, you want to keep your ammonia at 0 and your PH correct in the display while running Hypo. Keep things as stable as you can since stability is a big key to this hobby.
Thanks for the correction Mel. I must have been suffering from post turkey dementia. :confused:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the correction Mel. I must have been suffering from post turkey dementia. :confused:

It's a common problem with Turkey holidays. don't worry bout it ;) I'm running on 3 hours sleep and about to go back out for more shopping! You'll have to keep an eye on me and make sure I'm making sense! :confused:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back