Hypothetical 5 Gallon fish?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, if I were to get a 5 gallon tank setup (21in long) for my girlfriends birthday who’s never had the space or money to get one… what would a stocking list look like?

She told me “I’d want the cutest fish ever” but I’m not sure what that means exactly

They mostly want inverts and no corals since it’s their first tank. So a cleaner shrimp, and snails and maybe some sexy shrimp or an anemone crab. I just am curisous as to what fish (if any) would be fine in a 5 gallon thank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, if I were to get a 5 gallon tank setup (21in long) for my girlfriends birthday who’s never had the space or money to get one… what would a stocking list look like?

She told me “I’d want the cutest fish ever” but I’m not sure what that means exactly

They mostly want inverts and no corals since it’s their first tank. So a cleaner shrimp, and snails and maybe some sexy shrimp or an anemone crab. I just am curisous as to what fish (if any) would be fine in a 5 gallon thank
I've had a Greissenger Goby in a tank half that size for several months and he seems to be just fine. Since he eats copepods I just dose a little phyto at night to feed the pod population so I don't actually feed the fish anything. No crabs though because they might eat him. He certainly qualifies as one of the coolest fish out there imo regardless of size!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giving sea horse GIF by SWR Kindernetz
Pods, & pipefish! Or their cousin the C-hoarse! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
biota small mandarin dragonet. Eats pellets and since they come so small from biota is perfect for a small tank. But comes with the caveat of feeding him a couple times a day until your pod population grows to sufficient amount

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
biota small mandarin dragonet. Eats pellets and since they come so small from biota is perfect for a small tank. But comes with the caveat of feeding him a couple times a day until your pod population grows to sufficient amount
I’ve heard pods can’t grow to sufficient amounts in such small tanks and I wouldn’t want that fish to starve they’re too beautiful

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wouldn’t worrying about pods be hard for a first timer? Mandarins are one of my favorite fish I would hate to give it to her and then it starve because of a lack of pods

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wouldn’t worrying about pods be hard for a first timer? Mandarins are one of my favorite fish I would hate to give it to her and then it starve because of a lack of pods
Agree with that, my guy picks at pods all the time and even then I dose just to make sure he has them!

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That’s beauty of biota mandarin because they do eat pellets and wont have to rely on poss. If she has access to reef nutrition pacpods, she could also feed it a squirt of the pac pods 2-3 times day.

I can tell u its possible for 5 gal aquarium because i own a 5 gal eshopps deskmate with a biota mandarin feeding pac pods.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for every success story involving a mandarin in a tiny tank there are likely 100x as many less spoken stories during which the fish didn't last very long.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Greissenger Goby in a tank half that size for several months and he seems to be just fine. Since he eats copepods I just dose a little phyto at night to feed the pod population so I don't actually feed the fish anything. No crabs though because they might eat him. He certainly qualifies as one of the coolest fish out there imo regardless of size!
Can you go more in depth about the care of your greissenger?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go more in depth about the care of your greissenger?
He honestly doesn't require much...he eats copepods which I introduced naturally with a few pieces of live ocean rock and I maintain the population by dosing phyto every night. They don't eat near as many pods or grow as big as mandarins.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He honestly doesn't require much...he eats copepods which I introduced naturally with a few pieces of live ocean rock and I maintain the population by dosing phyto every night. They don't eat near as many pods or grow as big as mandarins.
What else is in the tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back