Hyppo constantly hiding

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help or advice needed....

So, i have a blue hyppo (P.hepatus), about a year now. He was very small when i got him, of course, he grow, eats, looking healthy, no changes in color, shape, no ich....

Problem is, he (or she) is constantly in hole in rock. All the time. Comes out for food, everytime, swim few circles around that rock and thats it. I think i newer saw him few inches away from that rock.

Few months ago, i added djesdjardini tang, also very small specimen. Of course, he grows also, but mucn faster. He swims all over the place, picking glass etc.... Bit agressive, but nothing serious.....

No other agressive fish, queation is, whats wrong with my hyppo, what can i do to make him leave that hole?

I tought simply to take chance when he's out and block that hole, im kinda sick that he always lays down in that hole....

Any advice....

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they like to hide, but, it will be great to actually see fish in tank, not just knowing that is there ;)

When someone looking at tank.... Of, wow, but, why only one fish? Shame, big tank and one fish.....

Then goes "where is waldo" game...

U see that little yellow patch in that hole? That is fish. Look, there, that orange specks, that is actually two fishes, quick, that blue shadow underneath the rock - yap, another fish..... :)

Kinda frustrating :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang hides all the time. I believe it is a juvenile response. If I am near the tank she hides, but if I am on the couch in the other room I can see her swimming around and trying to be the boss of the tank.

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I compare to my previous tank and fish, hyppo sleeped in hole, but, trough the day, he was active all around the tank...

This one, sometimes i think that someone slip me sloth instead a fish ;)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and whats your rock like? Do you have lots of caves and holes? Mine used to be like this but after I changed up my rocks and made spaces he could get into all around the tank and he can travel from one end to the other nearly unsean. He's out all the time now that there's always a hiding spot close by.

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of rock, also plenty of space to swim.

Poor picture, but....

Djesdjarsini is in bottom right corner on picture, to get idea of size and available space.....

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_101027.jpg
    IMG_20221129_101027.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 22

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back